Top Shelf Aquatics

Not sure what it is...

RedefiningFate

RedefiningFate

I have two things in my tank that I can not ID. One is the first group of pictures. I have this green "weed" thing growing on my rock of zoos. The zoos are just fine and all, but I wanna know what it is.

Second is the white sacks on the GSP. I have no idea what those are. Are they like egg sacks or something?

gpcu2.JPG

greenplant.JPG

gpcu.JPG

ws.JPG

ws2.JPG

Thanks for your reply.

J.T.

First looks like grape caulerpa. Second looks similar to the fungus that sometimes grows around Zoo's, can't really tell from the pic though.

I agree w/USF on the grape caulerpa. Clarify in the second what I am looking for. Is it the off white about right mid-way in the last pic?

jenniebutterfly

on your gsp, does white thing you are talking about have two holes in it? if so it is a type of sea squirt (tunicate), nothing to worry about, i have white, red, black, yellow, and orange ones :) jen

RedefiningFate

Is the grape caulerpa a bad thing? Cause they are almost crowding my Zoos.

On the GPS rock it is the off white bulky things half way on the pic. They do not seem to be in the same spot all the time either.

I have tons of grape caulerpa, it gross like a weed. Great to have in a refug, but annoying in the main tank. Keeps my nitrates at 0

Originally posted by RedefiningFate

Is the grape caulerpa a bad thing?  Cause they are almost crowding my Zoos.  

On the GPS rock it is the off white bulky things half way on the pic.  They do not seem to be in the same spot all the time either.

If you feel the algae is crowding them out, rip it off and put it somewhere else (filter, corner, etc). If the off white things like these close up, they are leucilla sponges/aka q-tip:

faq_sponge.jpg

RedefiningFate

That is exactly what they are. Are the sponges a bad thing, cause they are pretty much all over my GSP rock and Zoo rock. Thanks again all for your feedback.

I have never found them to be a problem. I have them on my rocks and in my filter. They are good little filter feeders. They also tend to prefer shade, so if your corals are in direct light, they will probably not be there much longer.

Archived