Cultivated Reef

the owner of the LFS gave me an acan........ need help plz

jdav

so I'm pretty good friends with the guy that runs my LFS and tonight he gave me an acan that has probably 14 or 15 polyps on it.

He ordered two of them from somewhere, i forget where, and one of them came in pretty much dead and the other one (the one I got) came in okay. He said he didn't know to much about them and if I'd take care of it I could have it.

SO, here are my issues...

1.) this thing is WHITE I mean it looks like someone poured bleach all over it STARK WHITE. Has anyone ever seen this color or is it more than likely bleached? If it is bleached what can I do for it.

2.) What Kind of special attention do acan's need? (Lighting ect.)

Other than those two I'm pretty much set I think. The polyps on it are opening up and none of them have the skeleton exposed. This one looks really healthy I was just kinda worried about it's color.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for that, J-Bass. :| Pics would be nice, dude. I think the basics of acans are put them in the sand. Preferably mounted on a rock. Don't blast the hell out of it w/ light. And feed it some mysis or cyclopeze or something similar and nutricious. I'm sure Tigah and the Acan lovers will see this soon enough and have some more advice for you. I think it's probably bleached out, but a pic or two would be very helpful in determining that. Nice grab w/ the free acans, though. ;)

what kind of acan? Pics would be helpful. But sounds bleached.

Generally speaking, no direct MH lighting...low light...med flow. feed mix of cyclo-peeze, frozen meaty enriched mysis/brine shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...

the only access I have to a digital camera is borrowing a guys at work. I took it home and trried to take a picture of it but couldn't get it to focus so it would have been pointless anyways.....

I did just move it thoughso I may be able to get a picture of it now.... I'll take it home again and try.

for an update though I lost 1 of the olyps and the others are turning a brick red color one by one with really light green spots on them. hopefully I'll have a full recovery!!

Archived