Top Shelf Aquatics

Electricians please

BCOrchidGuy

I've read that VHO ballasts and HO ballasts are not interchangable, and that makes some sense to me, but if a ballast is rated for two 112 watt bulbs wouldn't it run two 110 watt bulbs? Now, to be exact, I've found that I can buy a HO ballast that is rated at 65, 95 and 112 watts for 6 and 8 foot HO tubes, wouldn't this ballast run two 110watt VHOs? The ballast is a magnetic one not electronic but the price difference is massive, $24 for the magnetic ballast and $200 for the electronic (used).

The only reason I can figure that it wouldn't work is perhaps the VHO needs a different start voltage.

Comment?

Dave is right, but you can get VHO ballasts (and all nano ballasts) a lot cheaper than aquarium suppliers are selling them.

Go to a good lighting store. Not Home Depot, but someplace like REXEL that only sells lighting and has a big contractor's counter (check your yellow pages under lighting!)

Tell them what kind of bulbs you're running, and they will probably have magnetic and electronic options for you. I just got GE Electronic ballasts, each runs 2x32watt PCs, for less than $11 each. I haven't bought VHO ballasts in years, but I bet they won't cost $200 from a real lighting supplier.

And more since I'm on a PC lighting tip...

You can get the square endcaps (sockets) for wiring PC bulbs chealyp, too. Ask for the ADVANCE brand ballast that runs two "Circline" lamps. It's totally standard and easy to find. This ballast won't drive PC's, but it includes two sockets that you can cut off for use. For $9.00 you just throw away the circline ballast and keep the sockets!

These are not waterproof sockets so don't run them over open water!

The reason the lighting suppliers told me was that the VHO require a higher striking voltage than HO.

No one seems to carry VHO ballasts up here for some reason, they all have HO but they only have VHO available if I want to order a case of 12, and the tubes are the same price as the LFS I use. Compacts are a bit easier to come up with but only in 13 15 and 18 watt sizes, I am still calling around for something a bit stronger, I've decided to go with the VHO for the 4ft tank but will go with CP for the nano, still not sure which tank to use for that, I am thinking the 45 because it is short 18inches but thats not really a nano tank is it, still have the 33 and either a Long 20 or a standard 20 to decide between.

Thanks though for the replies I really appreciate it.

Archived