Top Shelf Aquatics

Feather duster left tube

nmduke2001

My feather duster (worm and plume) left it's tube this morning and moved himself to the other side of the tank. I've read that the plume sometimes comes off in times of stress or as a way to reproduce, but should I be concerned about this? Will it just find a better location and create a new tube? Thanks!

I agree with korbin. Check Water Q. They can also do this if current is not right or if they are in need of a new home. They can burry in sand or a hole in LR.. keep an eye on it.

I checked ammonia, pH, nitrates and nitrites last night; all were perfect, but I still did my weekly water change. I only have one fish in the tank and it gets fed once daily, maybe the feather duster went looking for food? I have never directly fed the feather duster because my LFS told me I didn't have to. My new frogspawn is doing great in the same tank. Hopefully this is all natural and the feather duster will have a new tube soon.

I am new to this and I have had my reef setup for only 2 months or so, but here is my experience. I have 3 feather dusters, and one did leave his tube. He buried himself in the sand over 4 weeks ago. He still sticks his plume out and opens up. I have noticed that there is sign of a tube being built below the plume. I also thought he was a goner from what i had read, but he seems to be doing great. I think he left because I stuck him in a crevice and he didn't like the location. Normally they would squirm with the tube to a new location, but since the tube was stuck in the crevice, he decided to move without it. I hope this helps or at least adds some hope. BTW, i do add DTs Phytoplankton every other day.

Pattrick Star

You can check water quality because that could be a possibility but my water is excellent on every test i taken all my coral in this 55 is growing by leaps and bounds, but yet 1 of the 2 feather dusters shed its feathers and it is a very common ordeal in which they do other than bad water quality. Hope i helped you anyway it takes them up to 2 weeks to grow another in which mine did in a week.

Archived