Pod Your Reef

holy cow!!!

SeaFish

one of my cleaner shrmip has a batch of eggs under where its swim legs, fins or whatever u call it. i guess it is safe to assume the 2nd cleaner shrimp father the eggs. my question is, what should i do to ensure the survival of the baby cleaner shrimps? anyone have cleaner babies before? if so please advise me. thank you

eggs will be eaten by the fish. any shrimp that hatch will be eaten by the fish. any shrimp that don't get eaten will probably get ground up by the impeller in a powerhead. quarantining the mother might cause her to release her eggs so my suggestion would be to keep a close eye on her and if you see baby shrimp swimming around, try and quarantine them in a seperate tank.

Don't count your shrimp before they hatch. best of luck.

Well.....it is pretty common for that to occur but in a small nano it is very unlikely any will survive the powerheads, fish, etc. They will get eaten very quickly UNLESS you quarantine them and then maybe you'd be able to save some.

I've only seen any survive in larger aqauriums. I had an old 100 reef that I had a mating pair. Once in a while i'd see around 15-20 survive but they still didn't last too long. If a few swer smart they would hide and they lived to be big enough to trade into my LFS but it was a rare occasion.

Cameron

Contact The Marine Centre in ENgland. they breed them. They could give you the best info. as for the phone number.. I have no clue. Check October 2000 issue of Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. there is an article in there.

" GHAST ! reading ! OMG WTF ! Nooooooooo !...."

i had a cleaner release babys in a tank with no other fish so i scooped almost all of them into a quarantine tank. there were hundreds. i tried to raise them but they only survived 2 weeks. i was feeding them fresh hatched brine shrimp fortified with selcon. they did double in size and started turning reddish though. i got a book on breeding and raising shrimp and it said how to raise peppermint shrimp but that raising cleaners had not yet been understood. physh, you said you actually had some survive to maturity? are you sure? my understanding is that there are only a few institutions capable of captive breeding of cleaners and they arent giving away there secrets. but maybe im wrong.

Archived