Cultivated Reef

Not a Nano Question...75 gal question

animal-lover

animal-lover

Okay Y'all

I know this is a nano forum (and in my defense I have a nano tank too), but my hubby just got me a 75-gal tank thanks to tax refunds and I need help stocking it.

I've done a lot of freshwater but the nano was my 1st saltwater, and it hasn't been set up for long. So I need all the advice I can get!

The 75-gal is going to start out FOWLR (maybe reef later on). I want lots of colorful fish as this will be the showpiece of my home office, and I like to impress the clients!

Here are the fish I am thinking of:

2 Ocelarris Clowns

1 Coral Beauty Angel

1 Longnose Hawkfish

1 Neon Blue Goby

I know I can probably add more fish than this but I wanted your opinions. What do y'all recommend?

Thanks!

neon blue goby, personally never seen one fair well but who know's, you have a big tank with LR. All are for the most part reef compatible (angel is the only maybe)... no larger fish like a yellow tang? all those fish are easy to care for too (dunno about goby) and easily to obtain - looks good imo.

animal-lover

BJK2- oh yeah, I'm researching protein skimmers right now, those are a definate on a 75-gal.

I forgot to mention that I'm also going to have about 85-95 pounds of LR and 80+ pounds of live sand.

And Chrissreef I thought about a tang of some sort but I've heard that they all eventually come down with ick or lateral line erosion... I'd love either a blue or yellow though... Do any of you have any experience with tangs and could give me some insight? I hate buying fish then watching them die...sucks big time.

animal-lover

anyone out there have good advice on yellow tangs for me? Or any other fish that might look good in this tank??

animal-lover

OK, so I'm up to 2 o.clowns, 1 coral beauty angel, 1 longnose hawkfish, and 1 yellow tang. That about caps me out doesn't it. I'm still open to advice, but so far that sounds like a nice mix!

instead of the coral beauty. i would go with a flame angel...i like their deep orangish color

as for tangs, i personally like the powder blues...its a soft sky blue type color

just my 2 cents

BKtomodachi

PB would get to big for a 75.

I'd say either a flameback, flame, or coral beauty angel would work.

The yellow or kole tangs are the only ones I'd do in a 75. They should be good. Add them towards the end, though.

The hawkfish isnt really reef safe either....

But your total list is very good.

animal-lover

Copperbanded butterflyfish I assume? Aren't butterflyfish hard to keep alive? I love the way they look, they are so pretty...but I heard they are hard to feed. If not I'd love to add one of those too!!!

i would get a yellow tang I love my yellow tang i have had it now for about 6 mouths it is in a 30g tho i need to upgrade to a bigger tank

Originally posted by animal-lover

Copperbanded butterflyfish I assume?  Aren't butterflyfish hard to keep alive?  I love the way they look, they are so pretty...but I heard they are hard to feed.  If not I'd love to add one of those too!!!

They can be. If you quarentine them it's easier to get them to feed. Try mysis shrimp. They also do better in established aquariums (6+ months)

yeah like all those sites that rate how easy a fish is to care for say that copperbanded butterflyfish are difficult, have trouble eating, don't live long, etc but then when you read on getting rid of apista they all tell you to add a copperband..... makes no sense at all

animal-lover

After talking to people at different websites and calling a few pet stores (way out of driving distance for me, since I live in the middle of nowhere), I have come up with this revised stocking list. Please let me know what you think:

1 Ocellaris Clown

1 Coral Beauty Angel

1 Longnose hawkfish

1 yellow tang

1 bi-color pseudochromis

1 chalk bass

Also give me your opinion on what order I should add these guys once my tank finishes cycling.

As always, you guys (and gals!) are the best!

BKtomodachi

Whoa! A bit much there IMO.

I'd do the clown, and choose between the tang and angel.

Everything else besides the bass should be fine. But be aware that anything moving and small will fall victim to the hawk.

Sounds good to me the way animallover has it. It is 75g after all so should be ok with like 6 fish IMO. Don't know if the hawk will eat the little guys but if so just leave him out and go with the oters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Funky_Fish14

No.....wait....dont get a bicolor pseudochromis. I had one with my clown and a sailfin tang. That thing was the most agressive little ###### i've seen. Actually grabbed my clownfish and shook him back and forth.

Chris

Archived