Coral Vue Hydros

Aquariums

todd

printerdown01

Most "all in one" system will need some sort of retro fit (normally in lighting) to truely house reef tanks. There are several options:

Aqua Via makes a great 11 gallon tank that comes with 2x18W PC lights. This tank has an unusual look and makes a perfect reef tank. You might want to add a HOB filter to the back of this, as well as an extra power head (as I don't BELIEVE that it comes with one).

Alifes (which seem to only be availible in So. Cal.) make a great 7.5 gallon tank, fully equipt with a 27W PC. This tank includes a "back sump" which is perfect for storing heaters, chem filtration, ect. In the end your "show tank" is completely free of gadgets which provides a nice clean look. You will need to remove the standard pump this tank come equipt with and replace it with a Rio (if your interested I'll give you more retro info on this tank).

There is also the option of going with something like an Eclipse tank, on an Eclipse hood. I don't recommend the tanks, as they are made of acrylic and scratch VERY easily (not a good thing when you're moving rock around). However, I personally use the Eclipse 1 hood on my 12 gallon (this will also fit a 10). You will need to retro-fit the lighting on this tank (Coral SeaLife makes a 32W "SmartLight" that is perfectly designed for the Eclipse hood -and comes with step-by-step instruction for instalation for the Eclipse hood).

The owner of this site, Chris Marks. He does custom tanks; which are AWESOME by the way. Everyone that has gotten one has just raved about them!

Last but not least, Yourself. It really isn't hard to create a nano (in fact I believe that it is much easier then creating a large reef tank). All you really need is a tank (I recommend glass, 10 gallons are usually availible at your local fish store), a cheap hood -you will pull the lights out and replace it with a 32W or something about this size-, a heater (75-100W for a ten), a Hang on Back filter (like the penguin mini -many choices availible), and a SMALL extra power head (like a Rio-90 or a Rio-50).

Unfortunately there is no one really out there that specializes in nanoreef tanks :( ... The best source for parts (tanks, hoods, ect) is going to be your local fish store (LFS). They should be able to special order just about anything you want -if they can't find a new LFS!! However, you have found the best source of nanoreef info. Check out members tanks... actually, check out the "beginers forum" for as soon as I'm done writing this I will post a thread there that might help you out! Ask questions about their tank... Including where they got their stuff. I'm looking at setting up a 5 gallon right now... After asking around I have discoverd that WalMart is probably my best bet (I would have never thought of a WalMart tank as a "reef tank")...

printerdown01

Sorry, there are several others, the AGA, mini-bow, ect... I just listed some of the majors (although mini-bows are climbing the charts)!

If anyone's interested, i have a bunch of photos and parts list from converting an eclipse-1 hood to 2x28watt PC lights. I have been running it on a 10 gallon tank for about 2 months now. I can post the stuff on DIY if anyone wants to see it.

if chris isn't still making tanks then tenecor.com has some good options (similar) but they're $$$! the 7g bow does look sleek tho!

as printer mentoned, yourself. customizing the tank yourself is half the fun imo. you don't have to actually do any of the really difficult parts (i.e. drilling, cutting, plumbing) many lfs stores will price that out for you and they have the expertise.

Archived