Cultivated Reef

Corals In A Nano Cube

afiser

When i get the money, i was thinking about getting a ricordea. Do i have good enough lighting to house one and how hard are they to keep.

P.S. i have 52watts or lighting in a 12g nano cube(10g acuttaly)

i think you do. i have seen them in as low as 2.5 watts per gallon, but placed at the top.

Why so many options when it comes to corals?

they are not particularly 'light needy'. about what a zoo can live with.

they are an 'easy' coral. in many ways as easy as shrooms, and certainly easier than zoos.

i once had a heater fall on my beloved rics and burn the #@&* out of one. the result? it burned it in half and i ended up with two.

nalbar

Nice i can't wait tell i get one:):)

P.S. do they have to have perfect parameters and salanity stuff like that ect. (i dont have a problem with this stuff be just asking):):):):)

Originally posted by nalbar

they are not particularly 'light needy'. about what a zoo can live with.

they are an 'easy' coral. in many ways as easy as shrooms, and certainly easier than zoos.

i once had a heater fall on my beloved rics and burn the #@&* out of one. the result? it burned it in half and i ended up with two.

nalbar

Must be nice I can't keep a ric to save my life. but it has to be a curse on me set forth by the coral gods

no, they dont need 'perfect' parameters.

like clams or shrooms they prefer slightly 'dirty' water. they are more of a 'lagoon' species. as such, they are adapted to areas that dont get as much flow as the open ocean. so they are more used to nutrient rich areas than other corals.

nalbar

Originally posted by ebin

Must be nice I can't keep a ric to save my life. but it has to be a curse on me set forth by the coral gods

well ebin, one day you will see my tank in person, and i will show you.

nalbar

Originally posted by nalbar

well ebin, one day you will see my tank in person, and i will show you.

nalbar

At first I was but the learner soon I will become master.

Dude, I have a stock oringinal JBJ 12g with 24 watts. I have two large Orange Rics and a Green Humma. They are all near the bottom of my tank and have much better coloration and growth since I introduced them months ago. They have been doing fine. You should be more than fine. Just keep up with weekly water changes. I do about 2 gal every weekend.

I have. If you look in the vendor feedback there are numerous posts (including mine) regarding purchases from them. I LOVED my order, LOVED the company. Prices and service cannot be beat. I'd highly reccomend them. :)

i dont think they do but i dont have one but i have some hariy mushrooms and they are just spitting so i dont know My lfs sales them for 10$ but they are about 1 1/2 inchs come to think of it i am going to get one when i get my pulsing xiena this weekend

• 2 weeks later...

hey, ur getting a coral, good job aaron, i have a ricordia, i put it where there was a bit more current, and it didnt open up to its full size, so i put it in a low current area and its big, open and colorful, so i guess they donr like strong currents

I bought a rock with 30 yumas for $30. Some are 2" across I plan os selling some when it gets into spring so they can be shipped in a thrumus get in touch with me wieh your comfrotable with thermous trading for them. You could aslo keep some LPS i really like them alot.

Afiser - I think you will do fine with a Ricordea.

I have a 12G DX. Has been set up since Nov '04. First chamber I have a PolyFilter and the stock black sponge. 2nd chamber I have a bag of ChemiPure and a bag of Purigen. 3rd chamber I have a rio 600 with a heater set at 79 degrees. I have ~9lbs of LR in display area. I do a 1-2Gallon water change per week. I add Calcium supplemnet as needed along with Alk and other Trace Elements.

Phosphates: Undetectable

Nitrates: Undetectable

Calcium: 450 ppm

Fish:

False Percula Clown

Yellow Clown Gobie

Corals:

Pumping Xenia

StarBurst polyp

Green Pocillopora

Green Motipora Digitata

Purple Motipora Digitata

Green Colony Polyp

2 mushroom colonies

Inverts:

Red Anemone (small)

Trochus snail

Sally Lightfoot crab

3 Red Leg Hermit crabs

Plants:

Halimeda

Shaving Brush

No rock in the back. There is enough in the main display. Now if there was a way to put a light and have a small Refug with some Macro Algae then I sure would.

Archived