Cultivated Reef

Mutants!

Lingwendil

My LFS has tank raised percula that have bad genes. Some are missing operculums, some have square heads, one had no eyes, some have an uneven number of stripes on either side of their body. Other than being mutants, they are all very healthy. They are only seven bucks, and about one inch long. I was thinking if it would be okay to put two in a 10G live rock with 15w of actinic. The store says that "They can't read good, but they're oh so cute." They look wierd, but they will lead a normal life. I don't like normal clowns, but I'd keep wierdos. (they need love too)

Ain't Gots none, But if you're in the bay area in Cali, check at The Aquarium in Concord. Has anyone else seen mutant tank-raised fish before?

They aren't "mutants"...they're "culls"...i.e...they should have been culled from the hatch and discarded(read: flushed!). You can get them at a reduced price because they don't make good breeding stock or are malformed.

Cheers,

Fred

EDIT: These are the fish that would have gotten eaten first in nature...

I went to one of the lfs around me and they have a pair of snowflake percula for 400.00, I thought the price was wrong so i asked the sales rep and he confirmed the price. They are pretty cool looking but not worth 400.00 to me at least..

Mutants, Culls, same difference. I generally refer to fish as "culls" when they aren't desirably colored, striped, etc. Like with my double-swordtail guppy strain (bred from pure wild stock, from about six years ago) after a while of incrossing with siblings to fix traits, they will have undesirable body shapes or deformity, such as hunched backs, no eyes, etc. When I breed fish BTW, I don't flush culls, I feed them to larger fishes (namely my Bichir named Dudley), and then the circle of life is complete.

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

EDIT:  These are the fish that would have gotten eaten first in nature...

very very few of these would be born in the first place due to the genetic variation in the wild population

Archived