inTank Media Baskets

could it be a Garibaldi?

A4Nano

So today I am ready to add a damsel to my nano. I see what looks to be a small yellow damsel, which catches my eye for the first time. Not your average basic looking damsel in shades of blue, black, or white. The guys at the LFS tell me its a Garibaldi damsel. And charge me $15.99 for the 1/2" fish, while most other damsels are $6, but I buy him because well its the only fish I will be putting in the nano. I have been looking online and I am not matching any pics of the Garibaldi damsel to the one I have in my tank. Its all yellow (kinda like a lemon peel), but has a black dot surrounded by a virant blue circle near the back of its dorsal fin? Any ideas? What this creature is? From what I see the Garibaldi is much more expensive and rare. Do I have a find?

Thanks-

many fish change coloration from juvenile form to adult form. try searching for juvenile forms of the garibaldi.

if, in fact, it is a garibaldi i think i remember reading that they are generally a colder water fish and that they get HUGE! not to mention they are supposed to have a helluva long lifespan!

I think its a Honey Stripe Damsel. Thanks for your info. But mine dosen't match the pic you posted. I think they sold me the wrong fish and I would like to get some money back. I bought it for $16 but most all other damsels are $6.. including the honey damsel, which I think its a juvinal. Should I question the LFS?

Ya, its the first of its kind that I had seen at a LFS, and now after two hours of looking online this week. I have yet to see a picture of it. I thought at one point it was a juvenial honey damsel, but don't think so. I realize now its probably not a garibaldi, but I can see why the guy at the LFS thought it might be based on the bright blue markings by the head.

I would say this guy looks the closest, however, it doesn't have the blue marking by the head as mine. Still not completely convinced, but thanks for your info.

Stegastes planifrons (Cuvier 1830), the Three-Spot (Atlantic) Damsel

Thanks, that would be my best guess off the list. Maybe mine will get more blue streaks as he matures. Although I do not look forward to the day he's 5"s and brown.

Thax for the info people.

jenniebutterfly

lol, sorry about the brown news, but at leats you have a somewhat id :), but i don't think it is the one you think it is. look at the eyes, yours has blue, the one you are iding it as does not. it's eyes are all yellow

i saw that exact damsel here at one of the lfs but it was like a month ago so i have no clue what it was

ill go see if they still have em though, especially since it's the start of SPRING BREAK!!!! WOO WOO~~

Archived