inTank Media Baskets

live rock in new tank

chodaboy

i bought five pounds of some beautiful cured rock from my LFS, great contrast between the red, pink, green, purple, orange; looks awesome. I've had it for a week now in my 8 gallon seacube. It seems to be turning like a grayish green color not like normal algae, infact it doesn't look like algae (maybe a certain organism is thriving on the rock?). I haven't started my B-ionic doses yet, should I (haven't got coral in my aquarium yet) . Also i only have 13 watt lighting in it could this be an issue (should i get another 13 watt bulb, and ballast?). I want it to keep it's beautiful color how could I do this? My water readingings have been good, when i put the live sand and live rock in i had a little ammonia spike but with water changes everything everything has been getting adjusted, the fishies are great!!(for all those that helped me out last time).

It should come back in time once things stabilize a little. Ca supplement will help if you're going that route. Most coralline algae prefers low light conditions so you'll see most of the best colours under rock ledges in the dimmer parts of the tank.

Archived