SaltCritters.com

Can I pull hair algae from my GSP

Caesar

They're really white star polyps but I don't think the color will make a difference. There is a small patch of hair algae in the middle of the polyps and I want to pull is out by hand but I'm concerned that I will hurt or tear the purple matt. I know GPS are fast healers but I still don't want to hurt it. Has anyone tried this or know if I can pull the hair without hurting the GPS.

Thanks

Caesar

rip it off before the hermits do it for you (which is also ok btw, i was jk). if the gsp isn't a recent frag (i.e. not bonded yet thru growth) it'll be fine.

valonia/bubble algae would be more difficult, removing them can easily tear the mat. you could 'wedge' those out careful (may have to rock it back and forth first to loosen them up).

Cool, I was waiting for the blue leg hermits to take care of it but the only time they can get to it is when the lights are out and the polyps are closed. So I guess its time for the hand of God to take care of it B)

Thanks again Tiny

heh i have no fear when it comes to "hurting" my GSPs... i started off with a reasonably-sized frag that wasn't attached to anything. it ended up in 3 pieces after i decided to cut out some bubble algae that was growing on the purple mat (i don't play around w/that stuff). now i've got 3 mats of GSP 2 of which are growing wildly. one patch of it growing the most has some stringy algae-type stuff that i occasionally rip out by hand. if there's one thing i can't kill, it's gotta be GSPs! :D

Archived