Pod Your Reef

ID this anemone

Alexraptor

Ok i bought some new live rock a few days ago and on it i have a pair of anemones, they seem very hardy cause theyve survived transport home and rapid water fluctuations too(in a seperate tank) so i was wondering what kind of anemone they are.

Those are the rare anemone Incontenita bottox, found only around Suwarrow Atoll in the Cook Islands, worth about 500$ each. I think they are hairy mushrooms.

ohhhh!!!! doc's got jokes! lol.

they look like 'hairy mushrooms' mr. piranha...they'll grow to have an oral disc of about 6 inches! quite large...but they are pretty darn hardy as well. :D

no, they're called false anemones(corallimorphs...AKA mushrooms). the common name for what you have are called hairy mushrooms. the scientific name is rhodactis sp.

the tank has been running for 3 weeks. i used cured live rock so it cycled and stabilized quite rapdily, right now i have 1 clown and Psuedochromis and a turbo snail and 3 peppermint shrimps. the live rock i found these...mushrooms on was bought to add to the tank. but since it wasent quite cured i put it in a seperate tank.

Archived