SaltCritters.com

Crushed Coral w/ Sand?

Foogoo

printerdown01

How big is the CC? If they are small grains, just mix in some oolitic aragonite... It actually makes a nice combo, if your CC is tiny enough...

IllusionaryDreams

Some may call me crazy, but with the 27gal hex I just started I have a 1.5" Florida Crushed Coral Base (about 10 lbs), topped with an 1" of CaribSea Special SeaFlor (about 10lbs) and then .5" of CaribSea Agralive sand (about 7-10lbs). Of course above that I used about 5lbs of GARF.

So in answer to the question, no problem adding sand as long as you don't have an undergravel filter system.

If I am going to use Southdown for a base then seed with Live Sand, is it necessary to rinse the southdown before adding to a new tank? Or will the addition of the live sand and live rock help with clearing the water

printerdown01

Foogoo, if you have "rocks" in the bottom of your tank I would recommend removing them before you add the sand :P. Otherwise the sand will sebtle to the bottom leaving you with the chunks on top. You might want to leave a little bit, which will help seed you new sand.

Archived