Coral Vue Hydros

clown is too scared to eat

MinibowMatt

I bought an Ocellaris Clown yesterday, he is very healtyh looking, i acclimated him well, but he wont eat. He is snapping at evry little thing that floats in front of him, but he wont take flakes from the top. he goes up near them, takes a single try at biting them, then scurrys back down to midawter. It looks like hes scared of the surface. I dont want to flood the tank with a lot of food (7gal) for risk of screwing up my water quality. I have some mysis, should i try them? what else can i try? i really think he is hungry.

thanx,

when you feed your clown ,give him a big smile then he'll might eat it LoL.. (joking) .Give it a day or two ,try Live or frozen brine shrimp that will work.

MinibowMatt

I have tried mysis. He will only eat one, then no more. Hes small, but i dont think one mysis will fill him up...Im going to by a sinking pellet and brine shrimp tomorrow, Is it better to feed live or dead brine?

Noticed the same thing with my tank-raised Perculas. I got them a week or two ago and are still pretty small.

Try sticking the flakes an inch or so below the water (in the water). I can't just put the flakes on the surface do to my flow, they go straight to the filter. I've noticed they seem to go after the flakes more if they are in the water than just on the surface.

Hope this helps...

MinibowMatt

nothing is helping. They will only eat midwater. Im heading to the LFS soon to get some live/frozen brine, and maybe some kind of midwater dry food. he doesnt like mysis.. only picks at it a little. I did have him picking at it from my pair of tongs, which shows he iseither really hungry or not very scared.

Make sure to crush the flakes up really well. And give the fish some time. Mine quickly took to eating anything I put in the tank.

RN

ProFlatlander15

my pair of tank bred ocellaris did the same thing for about a week when i got them. i was worried because they woyld never eat anything, just pick at it, then swim away. now i cant stop them from eating

Originally posted by drg0nzo1

Clowns don't like flakes. They like shrimp.

My clown loves flakes...that was one of the first foods it took to. Same for green chromis and green clown goby.

RN

Try cutting mysis shrimp up with a single edge razor while it is still frozen.The cubes are easy to chop into small pieces.That worked great with my small percula.Other than that just wait and he'll settle in and get comfortable with his new surroundings.

Good Luck,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

my new pair of skunk clowns are eating mysis but every time they eat one they spit it back out, they have been here for a few days and are still spitting all the food out.

mine love flakes. i use a pair of plastic chop sticks and hold it under water for about 10 sec and they come running up to it.

MinibowMatt

I actually ended up returning this clown to the LFS where i got him. They swore to me that i had bad water and that was the reason he wouldnt eat. So i took them a sample along with my clown to return, they tested my water-- All was fine-- the guy said to me "hmmm thats funny, it must be the clown...."

No S**T!!! I havent bought from them again. Im gonna try Mail order for a while and see if it is worth it.

newbiecarlz

i would try frozen brine with your next one - Hikari has an enriched version. once they start eating you can introduce new foods to get them on to what you want.

When in doubt, soak the food in a little Kent's Garlic Extreme. If your fish won't eat garlic soaked food there is something wrong with it.

B)

Archived