Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yellow-Stripe Maroon Clown

uscgairdale

I have always loved yellow-striped maroon clownfish. I am waiting for my 12gal nanocube dx to show up early this week and I have been thinking about what I will put in it once it's ready. A LFS said that a yellow stripe in it would be fine, but I really don't think so. Even if it would be "ok", it just doesn't seem right. What do you all think?

IMO, maroons should not be kept in nano tanks, due to how large they get. They also need more space than all other clownfish. If you had another tank that you could move it to later, when it got larger, then it might be ok for alittle while. If you added a maroon to your nano first, it will be hard to add any fish after it.

I set up my 12g Nanocube August '04. The first fish I added was an one-inch Maroon Clown my LFS was selling for $20. I picked him up and since then he's been the centerpiece of my tank. Many fish came and went (no they didn't die; I gave them away ;)) and he never caused any trouble. Right now I just have my clown and a blue velvet damsel, and they get along just fine. I do have plans to upgrade to a 29g sometime very soon - but not quite ready for it.

You can go ahead with the Maroon - true they do get big, but for now he should be fine in your nano (that is, assuming you will be upgrading in the future).

Archived