Top Shelf Aquatics

REFUGIUM and a 20gallon high

willmsbrg

I was wondering if it would be prudent to put a REFUGIUM on a 20gallon high.. I was considering one of the hang on type.. granted I only have a 24" length and the Remora skimmer takes about 6" of that... but I believe I can squeeze one on there if it would be a good idea... my only concern might be lighting.. I have a formosa 24" fixture with a 10,000k daylight and 7100k Actinic.

from what I have read I should light this.. which I suppose could be an issue with regards to the normal day/night cycle for the tank? Also, is this something needed initially when cycling a new tank?

printerdown01

It isn't nessicary to have a refugium on your tank. However, they are fun to set-up, and do have some benifits. As for lighting, yes they must be lit... I would suggest either alternating your day/night cycle OR just leaving the lights on in your fuge 24/7 (I do the latter). This will help keep pH from nightly lows. This pH stablization will keep macro algae from sporating or going "a-sexual." I set up a 2.5 gallon fuge on my established 12 gallon without any problems.

Hope this helps,

Anthony

Archived