Top Shelf Aquatics

Help pick fish

Kogut

Hey all. I have a true perc that hosts my RBTA and a pygmy angel in my 20L. I would really like to have some more fish swimming around in my tank and I want them to be very colorful. I love mandarins/dragonets. They are probably my favorite fish. But... I also like the 6 and 4 line wrasses. Mostly because they have been known to eat the snails that bug/kill clams... The other fish I really like is the orchid dottyback. The bright pink/purple coloring of them can't be beat by much. All would be valuable additions to my tank because they can rid it of many pests... I am equipped to handle 2 of the 3 very easily. I could probably even pull off all 3 if I kept up w/ my water changes and such. I have acros and keep my water pristine for them. I know it would add a lot of bioload, but I have the big CPR fuge w/ chaeto that grows like crazy and a nice deep sandbed in there and a nice bed in my main tank. I also run a crappy seaclone skimmer just as a backup (it doens't pull much, anyways). Help me pick which fish and please tell me why! Here's the list and my reasons... THANKS!

1.) Dragonet/Mandarin

-----Either type. Love the color and behavior of both types of fish.

2.) 6 or 4 line wrasse

------Love the personalities and their ability to rid me of clam parasites.

3.) Fridmani psuedochromis / orchid dottyback

------Amazing color. Keep bristleworms and such in check.

I'm worried about competition for food between 1 and 2 mostly. I would get fish that I knew ate frozen/prepared food, though. I have a gigantic pod population and nothing eating them. If you have another suggestion for a fish, let me know. Thanks for reading the gigantic post!

anything but a mandarin, your tank could not support one in the long-term no matter how many pods you have running around right now. you could probably go with a scooter dragonet if you can get one to eat. my sister has a mated pair which she easily weaned onto prepared foods.

Archived