Innovative Marine Aquariums

How old is your tank?

reiple

I got this remark (sound more like a remark then a question) from several members here. It sounded more like ..."Yeah. But your tank is young"...rather than an inquiry.

Doesn't it takes less than a week for a coral to die? Of starvation and malnutrition maybe a month to three? I dunno.

But my current corals and clams lasted more than half a year. A lot I tried in the beginning did die. These were bubble, hammer, toadstool and gonoporia. Supposedly first three were easy to keep. The hammer died after 3mos. Bubble and toadstool less than a week. Gono lasted 4 months (sick in the beginning and was given to me. I only knew it was sick after showing it to a marine biologist).

So my nano tank with Elegance, Brains, Polyps and Clams survive. I am happy they look happy so be happy for me. Rather than sounding jealous.

And how old are your nanos? I hope you succeed for your critters sake! Keep Reefin.

i think it's an observation, we all take criticism/comments on our tanks or advice. there are many reasons (too many) why corals and inverts die in our closed systems. there are almost as many reason why they thrive too.

i don't think it's jealousy of the corals (i'd be jealous of a calk reactor or 400w radium lunchbucket, ya bastage! :P) but rather concerns of blanket statements that may not work for less experienced reefers.

i myself constantly make stupid comments X) and i'm corrected by others. i try to remember that the statements may work for me but not necessarily for others (unique systems and livestock). i like your elegance corals but i wouldn't recommend them to anyone because i know their difficulty in recent times talking with others. i was lucky, when i had mine it was still considered an 'easy' coral. now, as dave points out, they're basically endangered.

corals can take many months to starve or go into shock immediately and die within hours. different corals can survive different level of adversity.

btw my current office nano (5g) is 10 months old and being torn down for a 15H. my last office nano was a reef tank for over a year and a FOWLR for over a year before that.

printerdown01

Hehe, even I get hammered by criticism every now and then. A lot of people around here are very passionate about reefing and the animals kept in aquariums. Many of those have been "around the block" and have seen MANY careless reefers (often times more than cautious ones!). Thus, they don't give people the benifit of the doubt, and honestly I don't blame them. Try to understand where they are comming from. The second thing you can do is exactly what you did: air out your problems i.e. I HAVE screwed up in the past, and have learned from these lessons (eveyone has done this) -that way it doesn't look like your saying "hey I've got a perfect track record -and thus have skeletons in your closet later on... 2nd thing is simply to post: no I've had these for quite some time.... no problems... IMO you did everything you should have done. People will get to know you and your tank, and you'll have less and less criticism... ;) Plus there are some battles that will just go on and on... Lighting (especially for clams and SPS), DSBs, and skimmers... mention one and you will take a couple of shots, no big deal, just shake them off. People have opinions and often feel very strongly about them. I try not to be abrasive unless I'm in the "advanced forum" where people are kind of use to taking shots... :happy:

Archived