Pod Your Reef

Question about GSP and SPS

GobyMan

My GSP's have started growing pretty fast and they are now just starting to grow onto a rock where a frag of orange monti is growing. They are about an inch away. Will this cause a problem? I don't want the GSP's to "overgrow" the monti, so I would like to take action now if needed.

Thanks...

StarPolyps.jpg

Trim it back as soon as you can. GSP is bad for overpowering other corals pretty quick. GSP should be pretty well maintained IMO anyhow because there are some places it grows that it's just a pain in the butt to get peeled away.

Usually LPS corals will sting it and cause it to receed but in my experience with GSP and SPS the GSP usually wins.

Cameron

I always tried to find a spot where it wasn't fully attached and slowly start to peel it up from there. Don't worry about damaging it because it will heal quickly. You can even put the frags and rubberband them to a rock for credit at your LFS:) .

Worst case is i've had to break small bits off of rock to start the peeling.

Also, f you want to make a nice square cut a razor blade works well to make the edges clean:D

Cameron

printerdown01

Try a pick, like a dentist uses... You can usually find them in a hardware store or an art store... These are excelent tools for scraping and picking at stuff (I would imagine that they would be good for prying GSPs off rocks as well). I have one in my indespesible "reef kit," as well as superglue, plastic cup, and a 1ml pipette!

Just stack a few rubble pieces next to the leading edge of the colony. As it extends it will move up over onto the new rock. Then you can just simply cut away the frag, and keep it trimmed back with minimal hassle.

Archived