ReefCleaners.org

96W PC for squamosa?

blulegend

Squamosa are low light/deep water clams. I think your current light setup is ok but I'd probably use 1 32w actinic, 1 32w 10k, and 1 32w smartlite to even the 10k and 03.

What else do you plan on putting in the tank? This will kinda give me a better idea on setting up your lights.:D

Regarding the previous post: Personally the 64w of 03 and 32w of 10k is too much blue....most other corals won't really care for that too much.

Cameron

I have a frag of acropora, growing fine, it liked the 64W of 10K more I think, not sure as it's only been a few days since I added the 2nd 10K. I have a BTA as weel that seems to like the 64W of 10K too. The rest are a mix of softies and a candy cane coral.

This is in a 15 gal tall (20 l x 10 w x 18 h). I have a 50/50 smartlite bulb too and could use it. In fact I kinda like the color combination slightly better as well using a 10K, 50/50, and 03. But I thought brighter would be better using 2 10Ks and 1 03.

I'm also thinking seriously about getting either a 175W MH or 250W MH for the tank. I may upgrade to a 29 gallon in the future, not for a while, and would like to use whatever MH I get on it as well. The 250W would run me about $30 more, but would it be overkill? Would 165W work on both the 15 gallon and a 29 gallon?

That type of light should be fine. I have my squamosa under 91W of PC in a 15 gallon. 55W 10K, and 36W Blue. He's very happy. I'm also keeping a 2.5 inch maxima under that light, he's doing fine as well.

This probably dosen't count but, I have a Squamosa in my 75 gallon at the bottom with 4-95 watt VHO URI bulbs and it's doing GREAT! :D

Rock Anemone:)

I think your upgrade may be a little much for te 15 gallon. I would be concerend about the amount of heat all that light would put out. I would work better on the 29, but IMO I think the water on the 15 would get a little to warm with that MH.

Hmm. I plan to have a piece of acrylic at the bottom of my canopy to isolate the warm air produced by the MH and my actinics. Fans will ventilate the isolated air. The canopy will be 12" high with the MH at the top of it. You still think it would get too hot?

My water runs about 82* during the day with 96W of PC above the water about 1.5" (also shielded with acrylic to stop some heat transfer), a 19W lamp about 3" above my refugium, and a Mag 7 in my sump (I think the Mag puts out a lot of heat). I think the 175W MH will equal the heat of my PCs if not be cooler since I will have more ventilation in the canopy I build for the MH.

Any thoughts? I noticed a thread where Chris is putting a 70W over his new 15. I thought about that but wonder if the intensity will be enough for a 15 T like I have. I also wanted to have something I could use on a 29 as well so I don't need to upgrade absolutely everyting if and when I change up.

Archived