inTank Media Baskets

Green Coraline?

cbianco

On some of the rock in my tank I have what appears to be green coraline algae.

Now to the best of my knowledge coraline is normally blue, purple and white. The color on my rocks is bright green, almost neon green. This has me baffled a bit considering it is not a "normal" color for coraline algae. You cannot scrape this stuff off and this was not the color when I bought them.

So I guess my question is; Is it possible that this green stuff is coraline? If not does anyone have any idea what it may be?

I do not have a picture readily available.

jenniebutterfly

green is a normal color, i have some on my rocks, it is just a less common color, purple and pink are more common, i have never seen blue? hmmm :) jen

ya i was wondering the same thing. my rock and glass has been getting covered in bright green algae ever since I started dosing with calcium and strontium. anyone know a good method of removing it from the glass? very hard to scrape off

all my live rock had bright green coraline and then when i bought a bright purple coraline rock all the green started to spot with purple. it first looked like brown spots then it turned bright purple. i personally like the purple but would like to keep both as a variety. as far as the blue coraline i have some on my rocks. its like a light bluish purple...pretty cool but it changes often.

Originally posted by repman

anyone know a good method of removing it from the glass? very hard to scrape off

Razor Blade, but be careful. I sliced my finger the other day doing it. It's the only way I've found to get it off though.

I have all sorts of coralin algae in my tanks. There are greens, blue-greens, burgundies, purples and pinks. Blane Perune was selling plugs of all sorts of coraline algae colors at one time.... I'm not sure if he still does or not.

In regards to scraping coraline algae off glass. especially for my in-wall tanks which was a pain before getting this. It also works with acrylic....

Scrapper on E-Bay

I have got over my coraline color prejudice! LOL Appearently many people have many different colors of coraline. I was originally under the distinct impression that it was only shades of white and purple because thats all I saw.

Xeon

I have seen that type of scraper in many pet shops in my area. I just use a old plastic card, like a credit card and scrape out the tank. I don't mind getting alittle wet, hell I'd jump in if I could! :) Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Archived