Coral Vue Hydros

This is addictive

SubZero

I got my setup running on Friday and added the live rock today...all I can say is WOW!!!!! I spent a few hours just looking at the rocks in the tank, noticing all the small lifeforms moving around. It really is something else. I guess I need to get a book that I can use to identify critters around my tank. I appears that there are some "feathery" things that pop in and out of the rocks. I even saw something with legs that has legs hiding in a crevice in the rock...(maybe a crab) although I haven't seen enough of it to give more of a description.

I'll post a pic when I figure out how to shrink them.

Mark

This is addictive

*Heh*....You have no idea. I've been in for about 10 weeks now, and have decided to save for a 140-gallon. I hope they have support groups for people like me.

Nice rock placement (hoping the top piece is stable).

Welcome to the board.

Ross

> I hope they have support groups for people like me.

Heh. Welcome to the club.

(I just wanna figure out how to make my mom realize that we can *always* use more fish stuff for Christmas...last year's "useful" gift was a big 15"x4"x3" brick of a candle. It's still in its shrink wrap. :blush::rolleyes: )

My roomate always rips on me for staring at my aquarium. He says that after I leave, he looks in my tank and tries to figure out what I was looking at, but can never figure it out.

Then he asked me why the filter doesn't filter the salt out of the water....:

You guys are going to get tired of me posting this useless drivel, but I can't help it. This is too cool. It seems like everyday there is something different happening in my tank and I just have to share it with someone. My wife is not as impressed as I am, so its pointless to share my enthusiasm with here.

I added a cleanup crew. I ended up getting 2 Blue Legged hermit crabs and two snails. Being the dummy that I am I thought the guy at my LFS would know better than I what the difference in snails would be and I asked for 2 astrea snails. I ended up with one astrea and one turbo. I see why they call them that, it runs laps around the astrea.

After about two hours of drip acclimation, I released the hermits and snail into the tank. It was like I fired a starter pistol at a race, the hermits took off crawling all over the rock while stuffing what ever they found in their mouths. The astea attached itself to the back of the turbo while being acclimated and went for a ride around the tank. It took about 20 minutes before it let loose of the turbo and stuck out on its own.

I have been playing with my digital camera, snapping various photos...let me know what you think. Here is part of the clean up crew in action...

It's a Nikkon Coolpix 885, shot in the macro setting. I crop the pictures with MS paint that is built into Win XP, pretty simple setup. I am no camera expert, so thanks for the complement

Mark..

Sub, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but you just set up your tank a few hours ago.....those crabs won't survive the ammonia spike and are going to die. You can't put inverts in till the cycle is finished or they will die.

Rock,

Thanks for the friendly advice. Maybe I should have started a new thread with those pictures. The point was that I am addicted and it seems that all I do is run to the tank any chance I get and literally stare at it while looking for changes, taking photo's when I can get a good shot.

The cleanup crew was added about a week after I put the LR/LS in. I have been monitoring the water quality and so far everything is fine. I did not see a "spike" in any of the levels, but I think it's because I got some rock that was in the tanks at my LFS for a while. The rock spent a total of less than 10 minutes out of the water, so I bet I got very little die off.

On another note, see my post from a while back about the crab that was hitchhiking on the rock I bought. I saw the legs deep in a crevice the first day I got the rocks. A few days later the crab was on the rocks, so I took a picture and posted it. That was the last time I saw the crab until yesterday...:angry:...When I got up yesterday, I found one of my snails upside down under the rock ledge with that crab about half way in his shell!!!! I moved the snail out from under the rock, up against the glass and was getting ready to retrieve him when I noticed some movement. Poor little snail was fine, but his foot looks a little chewed on. I put him on the rock that he seems to hang out on and away he went, eating everything in sight. He seems to be fine now, but I am watching him closely.

Take care,

Mark

You can't put inverts in till the cycle is finished or they will die.

Uhh....gotta disagree with this one.... My three hitchhiker hermits all made it through my cycle with no problems. I'm sure it's possible that some won't make it, but to say that all are "going to die" just isn't accurate.

Mark - awesome pics, man!

Ross

Archived