Innovative Marine Aquariums

zooanthids and peps

printerdown01

printerdown01

Just bought a rock full of zoos, really pretty, from bonita tropicals. I have decided to risk it with my pep, as I have heard of people keeping the two together... But now I'm starting to get nervous... lol.... Anyone out there want to calm my nerves or really scare me? How many of you have kept zoos with peps and had problems??

they are hunt and peckers..... little of this, a little of that....

just keep it fat and it should be fine... I HAVE seeb them become a nusance.... Id reccomend a Trigger or Grouper.... no more shrimp !

I have a peppermint and an emerald crab in with zoos

as well as xenia.....the emerald makes me a little nervous, but

neither has bothered anything. much like any critter they are

individualistic. I'd say your odds are a wee better than 50%

that everything is gonna be cool.

p.s. I'm a NOO B to nanos so please takke with a grain of salt.

I do like my peppermint better than all the aiptasia i had popping

up :P

printerdown01

Thanks guys... I had actually heard of several people doing this w/o problems, so I went ahead and tried it out. So far 11 people have tried this and only one lost their zoos, so the odds sound pretty decent to me ;). -Thanks guys... I hope this will also help others that are thinking about risking it. It really is a game of statistics, as each of these guys will do different things (individuals are just that, whether you are talking about people, dogs, cats, shrimp, or even coral). Thanks again for the help, it calmed my nerves quite a bit!! 1 night down and no visible problems...

my peppermint ate my rose anenome....i got a small clone anenome and it attached itself to the rock and my peppermint killed it...it sucked...so i got rid of my peppermint...i didn twant to deal with it

Anyone know if a cleaner shrimp will touch zoanthids? Will they sometimes eat apasita too?

One thing I should have mentioned: My peppermint never touched any of my polyps, but I think it did exterminated my bristle worm population.

printerdown01

Skunk cleaners shouldn't touch aptasia or polyps. I say shouldn't 'cause there was an employee at a LFS that had one that actually ripped open polyps when there was food inside. The guy claimed that he fed the tank, and the shrimp would take food durring the feedings... No one believe him until they saw the pics! BUT cleaners have a damn good reputation for not harming anything (including aptasia), they are scavengers and parasite pickers. The guy at the LFS just had a freak case that I thought I would share (and did share some time back, but faces change so it is worth repeating).

I dont like dealing with Pepps at all. But I guess Im a little biased because Ive never had an aptasia problem. I have had one peppermint shrimp in the past. A day after I introduced him into the tank I caught him eating my frogspawn and my torch coral. I also noticed a few polyps from my Zoanthid colony missing. I got rid of the beast.

I've got two peppermint shrimp in my 2.5G with 2 frags of zoos. I haven't caught them on the zoos and everything looks normal every morning when I check it out. Just added some green star polyps over an hour ago. One of the lil ######s was all over it. But so far none on the 2 week old zoo's. Weird. If they keep it up after moving the GSP to an unliked section of the tank then I'm gonna introduce both shrimp to "killer". My almost 5" Banded coral. That'll teach them a lesson :)

• 2 months later...
printerdown01

Hey Ox, thanks for the post. To give you guys an update: As I stated before I went ahead and picked up a pep. He has not touched my zoanthids at all! It has been quite some time, and I have had no problems. I planned to pull him out eventually, but I think I'll keep the little guy for quite some time... I rarely even see him (unless I'm looking through my fishtank at night).

I have a Peppermint shrimp I bought to get rid of my aptasia problem and he hasn't touched the zooanthids at all. I recently have been cutting way back on my feedings as my nitrates and nitrites are up a bit and algae is starting to grow everywhere and in the last 5 days he has been scavenging everywhere and hasn't even touched my polyps. I even added a mushroom and a small pipe-organ frag and he just checks them out (looking for food that's hidden)and hasn't bothered them at all. He is very active during the day now though, he is everywhere looking for food and at feeding time he even swims all around the water trying to catch food in the water before the fish eat it all. He sure is a bad swimmer too. He reminds me of those big fat old bumbles bees that can barely fly. He swims up, around, loops, cookies, spirals, and just any angles or all angles trying to catch that food. He crash lands a few times too :o . but hasn't hurt himself yet. I even started feeding three times a day now, since I have been feeding so little at each feeding.

Hope this helps

-=Mark=-

Archived