ReefCleaners.org

Possible asterina starfish and mythrix crab

furia

I found a small starfish hitchhiking on zoanthus encrusted rock. After some cursory research the closest ID that I could come up with an asterina. The star is small (~ 1 cm diameter) and has six short squat radii. But it is red! (see pic). Can anyone help me ID this critter. For now I have isolated the critter in a plastic container.

The crab in the picture was also hitchhiking on the same rock (actually there are two of these guys). I am hoping the crab is a mythrix. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

ed...

Thanks for ID'ing the emerald/mythrix. I am happy to have them around. There were two hitchhiking. I think that two may be to many for my 18 gal. I will try to find a home for the other crab.

About the star. I got the idea about an asterina from the Wetwebmedia FAQ. I posted the same message to the "Marine Invertebrates" forum on WWM earlier today and got no response.

If I hear anything from WWM I will post it. I may try and get a better pic. I am 95% sure that I am going to remove the star. I just hate to destroy anything! I definitely need a second reef just for stuff like this.

thanks,

ed...

Archived