ReefCleaners.org

Dead coralline?

gullmo

I recently had a huge wipeout of my 20 gallon, water temp above 100 degrees for who knows how long? Thermostat in my heater failed while I was gone for the weekend. Anyway, I salvaged my LR but it has turned from beautiful purple and green coralline to white and black. Currently it is sitting in the 20 gallon which I cleaned out to start from scratch, but the LR is not getting any color back. I haven't taken the potato brush to it yet because I wasn't sure of consequeces. I know that LR bleaches sometimes but I thought that was only from lighting? Is it possible that the coralline has died? Is there anything I can do besides dose calcium to get the coralline to grow back? Thanks for any advice.

I recently asked my LFS what the white stuff was on my LR and she said that the white stuff is where coralline has died or was eaten. She also told me that it would grow back as long as I had another piece of LR with coralline. Good luck!

yeah, white on lr is bleached and dead coraline. i say scrub the rock to make new clean growing surface for the coraline.

Originally posted by kimura

How would you scrub the rock?  I don't want to take it out:|

Manual dextarity my boy !

manual dextarity.

and a potato scrubbie brush.

So you think that scrubbing the white away will stimulate new coralline growth? My tank is only 6 weeks old and I do have some coralline growth on some rocks but none on the glass. I was wondering about this very subject.

I don't think scrubbing the white away will stimulate new growth. I think Metznreef was saying since it's dead get rid of it to make room for new growth. Make sure your Ca levels are between 370-450. Also you should have good water circulation to spread the Coralline spores.

ms71171 missed the sarchazim in my reply.

So you think that scrubbing the white away will stimulate new coralline growth?  

no, the way to do that is get a well covered powerhead or piece of rock from some ones tank, and scrape the flakes off with a razorblade or other method and crumble it up. it will settle where it lands and even drift around the tank. the calcium is important and so is magnezium to the coraline. there are 14 major species in the caribbian and a vast number more than that in Pacific.

Light, nutrients, Carbonate hardness and calcium... THAT will spread coraline.

Archived