Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skilter Filters - Do they work?

Rock Anemone

Generally, they do work... if you consider the Skilter to be primarily a mechanical/chemical filter with an added skimming feature.

They aren't fabulous skimmers, but they work. They tend to pull a relatively large volume of relatively light skimmate from the tank, so I would watch the salinity level as you top off.. you may be losing salt. Especially true on a small tank.

There are a bunch of DIY skilter modifications descrobed on the internet, but before I spent a lot of time or money on mods I'd just get a better skimmer-only unit, like a Remora or a Prizm.

I have some Skilters I have modified by putting a wooden airstone in them, but they still don't do nearly the job of the Prism deluxe (with the basket surface skim attachment), which I also have.

The new prism does a pretty darn good job on nanos, and the slim design fits nicely on them as well.

I have found the Prism to be a MUCH better product than the Skilter.

(Both are really only adequate for nanos IMO!)

Well, I didn't want to spend the money on a prism because I have seen so many nanos without them. Also, I am doing weekly 1 gallon water changes and the fish load is nothing right now, I don't plan on many fish, just mostly corals and such...

Rock Anemone:D

If you aren't yearning for a skimmer, then I would save your 35 to 50 dollars and forget the skilter.

If you want a small HOB filter for media, circulation, and possibly mechanical filtration, you can get a small Aquaclear or similar for way less than $20.

I have a skilter on a 7 bow and I do like it for a small tank(for the price). I have filter material in the plastic (not theirs) and as for the skimmer we take the plug off at night and give it full air, during the day it is plugged so the water clears and looks good. This is a tank in my wife's office so that works out well. This tank has 2x32 watt pc's and growth of star polyps, zoo's, and all corals grow faster than my other tanks...later

Archived