Cultivated Reef

JBJ Nano-Cubers Filtration Ideas

dzergoski

How did you set up your JBJ Nano? It doesn't matter if it's 12g or 24g, regular or DX. I've been researching and drawing out different people's layouts and it's amazing--I don't think any two people have the same set ups in the rear compartments or the same flow gph. I thought it would be interesting if people wrote out a detailed explanation of how they set up their cubes-- for SPS, softies, LPS, or seahorses. It'll be interesting to see everyone's creativity! :)

Hi again. I ordered the 10g package for my 12g Nano Cube (I think it really only holds about 8g total), but I wish I had more rock. I think when my 24g comes in I will get the 25g Package from TBS. I think I am going to have Chris install the fuge light in the back so I can host macro algae back there to control micro algae and phosphates. I also had Chris do some plumbing modifications to my 24g, which include upgrading the stock pump to a 600GPH plumbed to a SCWD and split to a second return drilled under the intake grate directed toward the front. I'm also going to have Chris do the "true overflow" mod if it's possible with the fuge configuration in the back. I'm sure you have seen Mike Guerrero's Cube; well I want mine to be similar to his setup in the back. I'm going to upgrade the lights to a (4) 36w CF's and (4) 10w T5's with R2 5 LED moon light. I will also post this in the thread that you set up. I hope this helps... Dave

I just setup the standard 12g jbj nano and removed the bioballs and put in some small pieces of live rock along with tons of live rock in front all the way to the surface and a deep sand bed.Other than that, its pretty much stock but if it doesnt do what I want, I may modify it.I plan on doing all softees and shrooms along with inverts and maybe 1 or 2 tiny fish

Ok, after lottsa thought in to it here's my complete filter media setup -

12g OG NanoCube

first compartment - half full of LR rubble, and topped off with one sponge.

second compartment - stock pump ( for movement from rubble compartment )

third compartment - carbon

fourth (semi) compartment - removed stock pump and replaced with a Rio 600 powerhead (thinking of removing nozzle spout on outflow)

I do weekly waterchanges of at least 1g.

My livestock includes :

Fire Clown :aka: Red Saddle Clown, Yellow Clown Goby, 1 Peppermint Shrimp (my first addition), 1 Fire Shrimp, 3 Nassarius snails, 2 Blu-striped legged hermits, Tiger serpent star.

Corals include :

misc hitchiker zoos, mushrooms, moniopora, pink pom-pom xenia.

That sounds great, FiShTaCo. Did you ever think about doing macroalgae or chaeto back there? Why did you decide not to have it? I keep going back and forth on the idea.

First is 1 sponge, 2nd is lr rubble, poly filter, carbon, 3rd is some lr rubble and a maxi-jet 1200...I've over 400 gph in my cube o.O 100% water changes weekly.

My tank is still cycling but I have a 24g delux. I have 1 and a half sponges in the first chamber above which I have a 230 GPH pump with its nozzle pumping water through the filtration grates. In the second companrtment, I have a 100 watt heater and a bag of activated carbon. In the third, I have the stock 290 GPH pump. I am thinking of modifying the area above the filtration grate to create a surface skimmer and will then use some polyfill above the 230 GPH pump. Will have to figure out how to re-route the water from the pump though since I'm sure I won't want it to be in the same chamber then. The tank has 30 lbs of live Carib Sand and 30 lbs of Live Fiji Rock.

24 GAL. 1st chamber notched out for overflow. grate is covered. sponge and carbon. 2nd chamber is rock rubble and heater. 3rd chamber is upgraded pump. RIO 1700. I will be adding macro to 2nd and 3rd chambers when I upgrade my hood.

Okay, here's a question for all--Which has more benefit?

1. Notching for overflo and covering the grate

2. Using the grate compartment to hold 2 extra powerheads to make a vortex.

3. Using the grate compartment to just hold 1 extra powerhead for flow?

IMO it all depends on what you are looking to do. For me the overflow is the right choice because it is easier to clean the sponge. All the debis is collected on top of the sponge, I can basically just reach in a take it off without removing anything.

All 3 ideas are good, you just need to decide what you like.

good luck and keep us posted:)

Archived