Top Shelf Aquatics

Why Have A Reef Tank - ?

Guest AbSoluTc

Guest AbSoluTc

If your going to try and put Freshwater items in it? A few people have asked me if they could "adapt" fresh water items to go into a nano due to them not being able to pay for any saltwater fishies or corals to go in it.

Why would you do this? I understand it somewhat, but rushing out to buy a FRESHWATER fish and attempt to put it into an environment it was NEVER meant to be in is just wrong and shows impatience.

The reason these people wanted to do this is "I just want something in there to look at". ? If you wan't something to look at, get a spongebob squarepants aquarium! Don't take an innocent life, no matter how small and make it suffer. It takes weeks if not months to be able to put it into a different environment. Even then, it probably will not live for long.

Its like me trying to take a kid that breathes air and try and make him breathe underwater. Why would you do that?

I dunno, it just doesn't make sense to me.

SLOW DOWN AND TAKE YOUR TIME - THIS IS NOT A RACE - THE ONLY REWARD YOU WILL GET, IS THAT OF YOUR OWN STUPIDITY!

is it possible to adapt a goldfish to saltwater? i thought i heard somewhere that it was but i forgot where. just curious. hey absolutc, where did you hear about someone wanting to put freshwater fish in saltwater?

who wants to volunteer for MY experiment? i'll acclimate you to breathing carbon monoxide. trust me, i'll be "careful" and do it "slowly"

uhh.... osmotic pressure???

oof. mmmm, goldfish jerkey.:|

printerdown01

I don't know where you heard of this happening... BUT let me suggest some "less expensive" fish that can be added if you just want something swimming around to "look at" in your nano-reef: yellow damsels, a yellow-tailed damsels (bright blue w/ yellow tail), chromis (silver, greenish, bluish), a little more expensive but still under $15 -around here- neon gobies, redheaded gobies, and red sided gobies. I would consider all to be acceptable for nanos, and fairly cheap (usually $3 - $12 range fish). All of these fish are hardy and easy to care for; the damsels and chromis are more hardy than the gobies.

Mollies are brackish water fish and can adapt to saltwater (they are sometimes found in SW in nature, but not far out to sea). In fact, keeping them in FW is probably the worst thing for them. But if you just want something to watch, what's wrong with hermits?

Better yet, get good live rock with lots of hitchhikers, then you'll have no shortage of things to watch. I just found an urchin today! :)

Like an urchin... found for the very first time...

Like an ur-ur-urrrr-chin... black and purple, with lots of spines!

I heard a story about a guy that had a plan to gradually feed his horse less and less each week, and then eventually he wouldn't have to feed it at all.

The horse died.

I have an idea for those people that put FW fish in a SW tank. Don't need to buy liverock either. Just scrape some scum off your shower floor and begin cycling your tank with that bacteria. You could also catch some cockroaches and centipedes and call them copepods and bristle worms. Yeah, that might work. If you acclimate them slowly enough. Yeah... Your tank would look AWSOME!

well there are a LOT of alternatives.

and

I thought this was an eletist snooty hobby for the rich and scholarly........

Friggen moolie Stupids.

Archived