Coral Vue Hydros

Cycle with LR or Shrimp Method and Sand Bed Question

LSUtiger

I have FINALLY set my 7G AGA Bow up. It now sits next to the computer for my viewing pleasure.

Should I cycle with LR or by the shrimp method? Will one give a better cycle than the other? If I cycle with LR, will I lose any hitchhikers that come in with the rock? Does it matter if the rock is cured already or not? Remeber, this is in my computer room, so as little of a smell as possible is certainly preferred. : )

I have a not-so-deep sand bed with no live sand and the RO water from Albertson's.

I have read all the arguments that a DSB really does not perform as it should in a nano. Is there still some minimum height I should have for my detrivore critters that I eventually purchase?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

If it's only a 7 gallon, use some cure live rock and your cycle should be short with less smell. I wouldn't use a DSB in a nano. Probably layer about 1/2" to 1" for looks.

printerdown01

For sand there is no real minimum depth for the sand "look." A DSB can be useful to a reef (even nanos). The trick is actually to use a smaller grain size when creating the bed, this will give you more surface area as well as more compaction within the sand. But it is NOT nessicary. You should most certainly have LR in your tank when you are cycling it. Otherwise there is the possibility that you will face a re-cycle (or crash) when you stock the tank with rock. Note: the "dead shrimp" method doesn't actually require a dead shrimp, flake food or frozen fish food will work well. I prefer uncured rock when starting a new tank for two reasons: a) it provides quite a bit of die-off (no need for a fish or the "dead shrimp") and B) the rock will, in the end, have a lot more bio-diversity on it (sponges, 'pods, algae, corals ect). Honestly I have never had any problems with foul oders, although I understand that they are a common problem. Since you don't have a lot of sand you might want to consider stocking up "heavily" on the LR.

I cycled my 10 gallon with 20 lbs of uncured gulf rock and for the first week my whole basement smelled like the ocean. It was the best damn smell I've ever had in my house (we don't get a whole lot of ocean smell in Ohio) and I'm very tempted to do another nano or at least add some more rock to mine just so I can have that smell again!

When I pull hair algae out of my tank, it smells like rotten seaweed but only faintly. The tank itself smells fine. I never had any bad odors during the cycle. I wish I could say the same for my freshwater tanks.

thanks for the reply guys. LR it is. Hopefully my sandstorm will diminish soon so I can actually see to the back. : )

Mark

Archived