Top Shelf Aquatics

Hydroids or very tiny aiptasia?

janasleah

I was looking at the tank w/a magnifying glass (yes, stuck around the house today...the kids are out of school) and I noticed these really tiny guys (1 mm) with little tentacles waving in the current. They are brown. I have some hydroids on my glass, at the top of the tank;; they're the standard-looking starfishy looking things. On the brown ones I can't see any striping on the tentacles. I'll try to get a pic, but they're so tiny! Could a hydroid this small hurt anything? Not that I have anything to hurt yet :D . Whatever, I think they'll have to grow before I could spot treat them with anything!

Thanks!

Jan

Joshnemily, I do have some hydroids that look like that...they're on the glass, though. They seem to be multiplying..I guess that's ok?

Jennie, yeah, that pic is what made me think they might be hydroids. My eight yo son (who knows everything) insists that they're aptasia...so I told him we couldn't exactly feed them Joe's Juice at the size they are, anyway, we'd have to wait for them to grow...:D . I'll try to swipe my Mom's digital camera sometime this week and get a pic...she doens't have macro, though, so I'll have to try the magnifying glass thing...

• 1 month later...
ProFlatlander15

i have a few of those as well in my tank, but they are about .25 inches long but only 1mm thich with the little tiny tentacles at the end like you described. they are not near anything but i heard they can stind, they are part of a life cycle of some sort of jellyfish and evetually go away (well, mine did). they seem to die in one part, and come up in another, but never really getting out of control.

I have those in small "patches" all over my live rock - they don't seem to hurt anything, if they ever do I'll just make up some concentrated kalkwasser paste and give them a little squirt - that should take care of them ;) - mine kinda flouresce though - gettin kinda attached to the little guys :D

Archived