SaltCritters.com

white worm/snail with fishing line

klagos

There's a white cocoon with a worm or a snail in it. It only pokes its mouth out, so I can't see the body yet. It could be a snail thing or a worm. It hasn't moved and the cocoon is anchored. It releases a "fishing line" that looks like it's made from tiny, tiny bubbles. The first time I saw it, I was spot feeding cyclopeeze. The strand of bubbles started moving. I thought it was just one of my corals still ####ed off and releasing chemicals all over because of my recent tank adjusting. I watched it and that's when I saw the head pulling the strand into its mouth. I think it caught the food. Anyone?

Yeah, picture's not happenin tonight. I'll keep everyone informed. He was sticking out a little more, but still could be a snail head or a worm head. I'll be back.

This guy is thicker than a spaghetti. That coil thing in the picture is about 1/4"-1/2" wide and he fills it all. His head does appear more snail like as the antennae have come out.

• 2 weeks later...

Klagos,

Hey, it looks like I have the same thing. I noticed it only comes out at night. It slowly retracts back into the rock when I put light on it. have you figured out what it is yet and what have you done to get rid of it ?

jenniebutterfly

vermitid gastropod, or sessile snail, sends out webbign and tons of it to catch food and reels it back in. i have one that is black with red tube.

Archived