ReefCleaners.org

stone blenny eating corals?

Plancton

Hi, I wanted to own a stone blenny for my future 15 gal tank, the only problem is that I read in www.liveaquaria.com, that stone blennies might eat small polyps.

I don't know what you think about this, what's your experience?

Also I wanted to add another similar fish, like a purple firefish goby or a pseudocromis, but since they use the rock as their home, I don't know if fighting is common.

My perfect fish setup would be

2 percula clowns

1 stone blenny

1 purple firefish, or pseudocromis.

Some may say that is over stocking the tank. That'll be for you to determine.

The Salarias fasciatus (Rock Blenny, Algae Blenny, Lawnmower Blenny, Jewelled Rockskipper, Sailfin Blenny) in my experience doesn't nip at any of my polyps. He does swim around and eat tons of microalgae though.

I've actually got my Salarias spp. in with a Gramma loreto. The Gramma is very aggressive (towards me) but pays no attention to the Blenny. I'd say you wouldn't have a problem with the Sailfin Blenny, but I'm only speaking from my experience. Gather more opinions.

I have heard that they'll bite at the mantels of clams, if you planned on keeping any of those.

Is that really overstocking?, because I've seen in most 12 gal they keep 3 fish, well this is 15 so Im just adding one more and no more.

I may plan to keep a Electric Flame Scallop, do you think the blenny would bite it?

Archived