inTank Media Baskets

Flower Tree Coral question

EPICTANKHERE

I have a nice pink flower tree coral that seems to be doing great except once i upgraded my lighting from 24w to 96w in my 12 gallon eclipse it only opens up at night and for a couple hours in the day. Is it on a wrong cycle and will correct itself eventually or is there just too much light? It seems really healthy but i hate coming home to it all shrunk. Cant really build a rock conopy shade for it, tank just isnt big enough for that. My friend said he will buy me a clown for it. Should I trade?

how long have you had it? that looks to be a carnation tree (sorry about the spelling) and they need food, but i dont know about them and light, if you haev had it for a good while then obvisly you are doing somethign right but if it is realitivly new i would lookinto trading it

thanks Phergus for the reply!!! I've had it for about two months feed it marine snow (is that stuff good? right?) also dose some iodine and coral accel once and a while (is that good?) sorry am a total newbie. it only started this once i changed lighting. maybe it is a carnation. i will check into that.

the pictures of the carnation tree i looked up have red buds (if thats what the tips are called) this doesn't every part of the coral is light pink.

FYI, carnation coral (dendronephtya sp.) can be pink...really pretty too. I think carnation corals of pink coloration tend to come from the Great Barrier Reef. Awesome find!

I should tell you however that according to many, carnation corals are really hard to keep happy. They live high water flow, >2 inches/sec, but seem to favor a consistent flow rather than an alternating or random current. This is kinda counter to what most of us have in our tanks.

Moreover, as you already know, they are not photosynthetic. Carnation corals feed off of zooplankton and phytoplankton and need an almost constant flow of critters to keep well fed. Such a nutrient rich environment can throw our nitrate levels into whack...which makes keeping carnation corals in a nano a tough balancing act.

Additionally, while carnation corals are non-photosynthetic, they are sometimes able to tolerate high light. In the wild, they are sometimes found in places where they are fully exposed to sunlight. I'd err on the side of caution and not use MH, but I'm sure they'd tolerate PC light just fine with proper acclimation.

Hope this helps and good luck.

WOW. Thanks for the info! i will feed it more and see if it perks up at the right time. if it makes my tank a nitrate nightmare then i will trade it for a clown. Rommates problem then!

Archived