Pod Your Reef

iodine needed for zoos?

slimdogg

my g/f just picked me up a nice frag of bright yellow soloman(sp?) zoos, she said that the guy from the lfs said to dose iodine, is there really some important reason that i would have to do so? my tank is a skimmerless 15 gallon with 80watt pc, i dose kent's 2 part ca/buffer daily, and i'm using reef crystals.

Originally posted by BKtomodachi

Neither of those are true... straight up, dude.

And your proof to that?

Dont make statements you cant back up. IoDIDE is useful to softies such as shrooms, zoos, rics, xenia and is the quickest to be absorbed. Its recommended even in Anthony Calfos book of Coral Propagation that iodide be added daily to restore color to softies and sps.

"Iodine is very "reactive" (a powerful oxidizing agent) and can raise the redox potential of seawater, which is very stimulating and desirable for most corals and marine life. Furthermore, it is believed to have antiseptic qualities and be instrumental in maintaining pigmentation in coral tissue (it has been implicated in the prevention of some discoloration/bleaching even in stony corals for example)"

I'm fully aware of what iodide does and why it is good... but even if you skip out on a water change in a heavily softy-stocked tank, you WILL have residual iodide. Test, you'll see.

With the water change regimen that nano's should follow (especially if they arent skimmed, which is a WHOLE different issue with iodide) you'll have plenty.

Archived