inTank Media Baskets

NanoCube: A new begining (with SCWD)

MattGecko

Since my tank crashed and I'm starting over I decided to make some more upgrades to my NanoCube. The only live stock I was able to salvage was the sand, some macro and 4 heads of candycane.

I added a SCWD and a larger pump (Maxi-jet 900). With a couple of years under my belt I am going to set it up much better this time.

Planning:

18 LBS of Marshal Island LR

Zoanthids

Ricordia

SPS

Orchid dottyback ............ Is 10g big enough?

Coral banded shrimp

Misc small snails

Existing equipment:

Oak stand and canopy

70w HQI

28w actinic PC

Float switch top off system

Bare tank, I cut out a viewing window for the sump.

nc12_1.jpg

New plumbing with a SCWD installed. I had to drop down the left side of the piping to make room for the float switch.

nc12_2.jpg

False wall has been silicone back in to place.

nc12_3.jpg

Tank is ready to be filled, now I just have to wait for the LR to be back in stock.

nc12_4.jpg

Original tank set up, before crash :(

wow that's a cool custom setup. As far as the orchid dottyback, it should be fine. My brother has one in his cube 12gallon. He's got a thread on here somewhere with a small 20 sec video clip and it shows his sixline wrasse, orchid dottyback, and clownfish swimming around. Seems like everybody gets a long just fine. Good luck with your setup, will be nice to see how everything works out when it's complete.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I agree with Rbaby, you are taking us to a new level, I'm tired of seeing stock cubes,,,, awesome work....

Mike

Damn sorry to hear about that crash, the old setup was pretty awesome.

Good luck with the new one though, the SCWD should really get some nice flow going in there for your SPS. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks.

My wife has always wants an Orchid Dottyback so that will make her very happy.

I will fill the tank and add the sand tonight. LR is back in stock so it will be ordered today. I can't wait!!!

In case anyone wants to try something like this. I used 1/2" nipples and elbow. The slip elbows push on to the SCWD snuggly.

NICE!

I've got 2 questions though. 1) Why did you use flex tubing on the left side return from the SCWD, and 2) Any reason why you didn't go with the maxijet 1200 for maximum flow?

Thats by far the coolest nanocube setup I've seen, you better copywrite it before ccjung gets his hands on it :P I'm surprised a SCWD would fit back there, very nice work.

I had to use a piece of flex tube or I couldn't get it in to place. The two top elbows have to be able to slip on to the 1/2" slip reducers. A little flexibility is a must.

I was previously using a Maxi-jet 600 (without the SCWD) and it was not enough flow. A 1200 maybe to much, donno.........

Wahoo!!! LR is ordered, $120 for 18lbs for cured marshall island

Here was my original 1/4" PVC plumbing job, it worked great also.

mgnc05.jpg

Nice work.

I like scwd's, but I've had one of the ones I've installed freeze up on me... then you've got nothing to do becuase you cant get to the inside of them.

Originally posted by MattGecko

I ordered it from this guy, but not through an auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

I didn't get killed on shipping since he is only 7 hours away.  I should have it on Friday,  I'll let you know about the quality.

Thanks a lot. I'm in the process of setting up a 46 gallon tank and I've been looking for a good deal on good rock.

Yes its very easy to remove it. Its hard tell in the 3rd picture from the top but there is enough room to slide the upper elbows off of the slip bushings that are attached to the blue wall.

UPDATE: The Live Rock has not be shipped yet & will not be here untill Wednessday. :(

Archived