Top Shelf Aquatics

Powerhead placement

keisersosei

I have a 10 gallon tank with about 1/2" of sand and 2 AquaClear 201 powerheads. I'm trying to figure out placement of them that will maximize current, but no blow the sand around. Right now they are at the back, top, left and right corners pointing towards the front center of the tank. It seems that the water hits the front glass, goes down the glass, and blows the sand back. So I have a crater in the front and a mountain of sand behind that. So, what are some ideas on placement of these two powerheads? I can upload a picture if I need to. Thanks a lot.

Got the same set up and same issue here, pal. I guess the answer would have to be to try different things. I have no live rock yet, though. I think the rock will serve to hold the sand into place a bit. Some of the threads speak about pointing the heads up to break/agitate the water surface to oxygenate the water and get more surface flow. Also, you want them pointing at the glass to try and dissuade the cyano outbreak there....me thinks anyways.

Hope that helps, I'm a rook just like you are..haha...

Once, when I was in this barber shop quartet in Skokie, Illinois...

The rock is what's keeping the sand from blowing everywhere, but the sand that is being blown is right up against the front glass. The AquaClear's have an adapter to point the current down, but it doesn't work very well up. If they are both pointed towards the surface, would that give me enough current down low?

Archived