ReefCleaners.org

My 4 month old Nano 12g

compulou

that nudibranc is going to die...it only eats certain sponges and since your tank is new....well, no sponges. PLease return it so it won't starve to death!

Thanks

they are, it will die 4 sure. I was about to buy the same variety at That Fish Place. I talked with one of the employees there and he said the ones that do not sell die within a month in their tanks. That is even with some live sponge in there for them to eat. Good luck with it though....

Ok, one rule about this hobby is if there's a beautiful animal that virtually no one owns, It's either expensive or horrible for nanos. Since this slug is about 10 dollars...

DING DING DING.... All of you are right. The nudi alas has already passed. But just like Reefsrule said "It's a beautiful animal, and it's only 10 bux". Actually it was 9 bux so no big deal. My sister also has a nano and she's had two nudi's. One puple just like mine and it also died within a few weeks. But the other nudi she has is black with a neon blue ring and that nudi has been alive for over 5 months...

Just because an animal is inexpensive does not mean it should be kept in captive reef. Animals with poor survival rates in captivity should be left in the ocean. By purchasing these animals you are encouraging irresponsible reef harvesting.

Diminishing the value of this creatures life by saying it's only worth 9 or 10 bux is just not right.

When you buy one of these and the LFS restocks it - think about the 10 others that die in transit. Also when this nudibranch starves to death in your aquarium and fouls the water - it can release toxins that will kill everything else in your tank.

With special care these creatures can be kept but please don't think of them as disposible.

also - your Wellsophyllia would do better if placed on the sand bed rather than up in the rock work. These creatures are substrate dwellers.

Originally posted by compulou

DING DING DING.... All of you are right. The nudi alas has already passed.  But just like Reefsrule said "It's a beautiful animal, and it's only 10 bux". Actually it was 9 bux so no big deal. My sister also has a nano and she's had two nudi's. One puple just like mine and it also died within a few weeks. But the other nudi she has is black with a neon blue ring and that nudi has been alive for over 5 months...

It's awfully hard not to talk about how wrong that mindframe is, but I know how hypocritical it is when we start talking about it, so I'll stay out.

if anyone would like to know how F'd up and dismal their survivability visit Seaslugfroum.net . And like one of the top guys over there said "if you dont know the name of the species, your prbly cant care for it"

I wish you and your livestock the best dude.

tank is very clean, but where's all the beautiful coralline?:(...just took another look, and damn is it clean...hahha. substrate is WHITE! there isn't even nasties on the back panel of the tank...wht's ur secret? ...if its cleaning, then forget it ;)

Vic - I have to admit your comment struck a note as true.

If we all really adhered to some high principle in keeping these animals we would not have reefs. The "no big deal" another animal died comment just really bothered me.

We all do our best to care for these animals but I'm not sure thats what happened here.

Good luck on this tank. I hope it come together for you and thrives.

Archived