SaltCritters.com

Suggestions for Low Light, Low Flow

IllusionaryDreams

IllusionaryDreams

I'm looking for suggestions of corals that will do well in low light and low current. I know the good old mushrooms are in this category, wondering about some tree sponges and other corals that might fit into this category.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Tank Info 27 Gal Hex 24" height and 18" side to side - plan is for a seahorse mainly tank.

brains aren't really low light corals. just shrooms, polyps, and some other softies like leathers, but you would want to keep them at the top more. you also may want to try corals that need little or no light like gorgonians. also, sea horses love to hook onto branching gorgonians.

just a question if i hve 5.33 watts per gallon, is there anything i cant keep other then hard stony corals? my tank is about 14inches in height. what do u all think while on this topic?

SeaFish, you can keep some hard corals.

Especially some small LPS, like Caulastrea (trumpet coral) or a baby brain or something would be cool.

Really you will be able to keep most things except perhaps Acropora or other really light-hungry corals.

Because your bulb is close to your corals in your nano, you really are giving them a good bit of light.

:)

seafish: you should be able to keep montiporas and maybe an acro or two if you get them really close to the light. any lps would work and any softies would work.

illusionary,

since you're going horse on the tank, try gorgonians or 'sea pens'. they're carnivorous and non-photosynthetic. they offer actual habitat simulation for your horses too. you'd be feeding them and your horses at the same time. (i'm always looking to lower my workload! ;) )

thing is they're difficult corals imo. low-light and low-current equal high-difficulty and high-maintenance ime. the opposites are the 'easy' ones from my point of view on the couch.

Archived