Innovative Marine Aquariums

HughJas's 40G Breeder Odyssey

HughJas

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BabyCakes - the blastos opened right up for me. I usually acclimate them in the sump and once the acclimation is done I keep them in the sump for the rest of the day under a low 6700K light. After that they go up into the display. So far no troubles...

~chris

Hey uh Chris...I have a few requests...

1. Stop making me feel like I need more coral for my tank. Everytime I see your tank I go..."oh there is something else I want in my tank." J/k I love it, I like looking at stuff and saying man I need to get me one of them.

2. Is there any way I could get a small frag of those Eagle Eye Zoos from you? I have been looking for some for the longest time.

3. Uh when ole Tigah's Rainbow Acan grows out enough I sure would like to buy or trade for a frag of it...I am not really an Acan. Hell I never really liked them until I saw that Rainbow Acan Morph.

lol - I say that about everybody else's tank. Ohh... ahh... I wonder if I have enogh money for one of those... :)

Those aren't true eagle eyes but I like them and you're more than welcome to a frag. I'll see what I can get off for you. Paul wants some too so I'll split it 3 ways.

Why would you want a frag of that nasty 'ol acan?! :) I need to get it mounted and keep pumping food into it. Paul has his eye on that one too. :)

You might want to turn your eyes away for a bit; I'm about to post a bunch of new pics...

~chris

Spent some quality time with the camera...

New FTS

mini-img_2829.jpg

Left Side

mini-img_2830.jpg

Right Side

mini-img_2831.jpg

ZOO Area

mini-img_2833.jpg

Blasto Area

mini-img_2834.jpg

Wee Little SPS Frag Area

mini-img_2835.jpg

Damnit Chris, that was totally unfair. You have got to bring your camera over to the meeting and teach me the ways of the force, for I am but a lowly padawan learner when it comes to pics.

i'm totally digging the green skirt purle ring red center zoos. loving them a LOT. great rockwork. that blasto garden is coming along great! more blastos! lol, whitten. padawan learner...lol. rofl.

After some reading on various methods for mounting the acan here's what I came up with.

I used a carbide grinding bit to hollow out a hole in the rock that the frag would fit into. Then I glued the guy in and added a little aquamend around the edges to make a "ramp"

do yall put your rainbows under low flow? mine hasn't encrusted onto the mounted rock yet but that may be because i put it under the flow of the filter

Tank looks great. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 40gal breeder. You like the tank overall? How did you go about getting it all drilled? How much did it all cost (if you don't mind me asking)? That new frag you got (looks like bonsai) is awesome.

Msigler - I'll see if I can get some more shots of Coral. That bugger never sits still though. :)

Kogut - let's see. I didn't keep a tab of how much things cost total (ignorance is bliss right :)). But I'll see what I can remember.

- Tank : ~$100

- Drilling : $75 (done by a local reefer)

- Plumbing : < $50

- Pumps (Mag 9 and Mag 7) : $125

- Sump : $10

- Stand/Hood : $150 (built myself)

- Lighting (250wMH SE and 2x96w PC) $400 (reused some lighting from old tank.

- LR/LS : $150 bought some from local reefers, reused the rest.

- Skimmer (AquaC Urchin) : $250

I think that about covers it. So total runs about $1300 +/- 15% since it's off the top of my head.

~chris

Thanks much for the price break-down. :) I'm trying to get an idea of what it will run me to do an upgrade if I do decide to do one... ;)

It's scary to think how much these things cost once you look back at them. There's always one more thing. I need a calcium reactor now - lol

Whitten - I'd love a frag of the orange digitata. Give me a buzz whenever you're available.

• 1 month later...

Archived