Innovative Marine Aquariums

HughJas's 40G Breeder Odyssey

HughJas

After what seems like an eon of lurking on this site. I've decided to upgrade the old Eclipse 12 and embark on a 40 breeder.

I've read and researched for months. I've checked specs. I've ogled over the tanks of others (I'm looking at you Tigahboy, Uchiha, Travis, and others). I even flipped a coin a couple times for those tough decisions.

Even with all that there's still trepidation with getting this guy right the first time. My idea is to make this project as visible as possible so you guys can slap me before I make that wrong turn and wind up with the 40G Money Pit.

Here's what I plan.

- 40G AGA Breeder

- Custom Stand/Canopy

- 250W MH with some sort of PC supplementation (details TBD)

- Sump/Refugium (The jury is still out on this one, haven't made a decision)

- Closed Loop SCWD

- more

- more

- more

But, first things first. I need to build the stand and canopy. I've been woodworking for about 8 years and have built a lot of the furniture in our house so I've got the tools. I want to make the stand look as "architectural" as possible to blend in with the other furniture we have.

I plan on building a pine 2x4 base that will be wrapped in 1/2 oak plywood (3/4 on the top) and clad in 1/2 solid red oak to create a faux frame and panel look. The canopy will be 1/2 red oak plywood with the same cladding.

Stain will be a mahogany colored aniline dye stain (I don't like pigment stains on open pored oak).

But enough of that - on to the pictures! I finished the 2x4 frame tonight and will begin covering soon. I hope to have everything finished in a week or two.

Feel free offer up suggestions!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there fellow Auburn guy. Any chance that I have met you at our reef club meetings here? If not a few of us have started up a club, and would love to have you join our merry band of frag stealers....er traders. Your stand looks great and your choice of tank is perfect.

Definately let me know if we have met before or if you are interested in our little club. It is small and informal, which makes it alot of fun, and there is tons of experience. Let me know.

--Michael Whitten--

Oh that's awesome. Lord knows we don't have a decent LFS around here and need a good "cartel".

PM me the details and I'll be more than happy to mooch....er trade and learn.

Chris

WOW...talk about over built...but you never know when the big one will hit in ha ha alabama! it looks great, i always overbuild myself. lookin good...hurry up so you can get it filled up!

Hugh, Here is the thread I was refering to on RC. We would love for you to join us for some meetings. I think we are going to try and do some DIY projects, as well as more organized frag swaps. If you read through the thread you will be able to see what we have been trying to do with it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=458041

Your stand is awesome by the way, it looks just as over built as the one I made for my 30 gallon Oceanic. Dude you could put all 700 lbs of my 4 wheeler on top of the thing and it wouldn't flinch.

can't wait to see your tank take off. Let us know if you are needing some suggestions as far as lighting goes. I am a bit biased in that department. When it comes to it, I love Aqua Medic stuff, but a DIY pendant would be a hell of a lot of fun to build and you could get alot more for your money.

Looking forward to seeing it come together.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived