SaltCritters.com

HughJas's 40G Breeder Odyssey

HughJas

Look'n very suave my friend. You going to be ready for our little swaray over at Pauls' on the 19th? Your stand and tank look awesome. I really can't wait to see that thing with a 400 watt MH and a bunch of T-5 actinics.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we will be there. My wife just got to see his 280g "nano" the other day for the first time.

400w MH with T5s? With this thing sitting in my office and that much light I'll need a good SPF 400 while I work. ;)

Nice looking setup there. i like the color of that stand.

Question though: Will you have enough room in your sump if the power goes out, to handle the water that will drain back?

Curious,

~B

Nice!! That's what I was envisioning.....planning a 40BDR myself ;)

Cheat - I think he's probably going to run some sort of up-turned intake, like a elbow or something, so the backflow is minimal. Atleast that what I'm doing.

Yes, it will be an upturned intake. I just haven't gotten all the bulkheads in yet.

I PLAN on taking it out tomorrow, putting in the bulkheads, and filling it for a leak test.

PLAN is the operative word. X)

• 2 weeks later...

The nasty, nasty unfinished sump area.

I need to get the sump up and running. The closed loop with SCWD is running like a champ.

~CHRIS

Full tank with the ghetto canopy.

The case for the canopy is build, lights installed, and it's bristling with fans in the back. Once I'm satisfied with the layout it will be trimmed out and finished to match the stand.

1/2 the rock is in and things are looking good. Now comes the anxious part where I want to dump a bunch of stuff in it, but I must resist :rant:

~CHRIS

post-3-1111874975.jpg

Nice, what size return pump are you using? That stand is sweet, much better than the AGA stand i have. I wish i could have built one like that.

The stand looks beautiful, nice to see projects coming to life. Ever think about running a larger sump? Looks really small in proportion to the 40 gallon.

Nice, what size return pump are you using? That stand is sweet, much better than the AGA stand i have. I wish i could have built one like that.

Thanks Pili - I've been wathing your thread for a while now. I'm using a Mag7 for the return pump.

The stand looks beautiful, nice to see projects coming to life. Ever think about running a larger sump? Looks really small in proportion to the 40 gallon.

Yea B16 - I plan on getting a 20g sump soon. I'm on $$$ overload right now and the 10g was an old spare.

And thanks for the complements on the stand from both of you...

• 2 weeks later...

That tank is looking stellar, it is amazing how different yet the same the two lighting sources look. The difference is definately seeing it in person.

Tank is looking great, but you didn't have to tell me it was comming together, I could here your wallet screaming for mercy, but don't worry yours isn't alone. My tank has made me broke for an entire semester, hell I am still treating my credit card with aloe...for the friction burns.

More Tank Pics...

I'm still fiddling with the WB on this camera so bear with me. Short of sticking a white piece of paper in the tank this is as close se I can get.

I'm having a bit of trouble with microbubbles in the tank from the sump, thus the cloudiness of some of the pics.

Feel free to comment, critique, flame, etc...

Orange Mushroom

img_2338.jpg

Blue Mushroom

img_2339.jpg

Blue Candycane

img_2340.jpg

Orange Center Zos

img_2341.jpg

Red Skirt Zos

img_2342.jpg

Hitchhiker Mini Carpet Anemone

img_2343.jpg

Hairy Mushroom

img_2344.jpg

Orange Ricordia

img_2345.jpg

Green Center Zos

img_2346.jpg

Tank Status - this is the full shot with the aquascaping I think I'm going to go with. It's awefully bare but I know I'll be filling it with corals soon.

img_2348.jpg

I've also been having some trouble with a super noisy overflow After a ton of reading I figure it was too much air in the pipe. I read someone tried pushing a piece of airline tubing down thru the airpipe so I have it a try. I drilled the current air hole out to 7/32" and inserted the tubing and just kept pushing till the noise stopped.

It's absolutely the best thing I've done to quiet down the tank. Where it used to sound like a tub draining constantly it's now completely silent. The only time you hear anything is when you put your ear next to the top of the hose.

PICS...

img_2349.jpg

img_2350.jpg

EtOH_is_good

well done on your tank. for unsightly white pvc before it gets coated with coralline algae, can always disguise it with the purple pvc cleaner or even use permenant marker.

Archived