inTank Media Baskets

bumblebee snail diet

chufa

I saw one bumblebee snail consume a whole hermit crab skeleton in an hour or so. That was nice! Although they don't seem to consume algae, they are good detritus eaters and now I know they can help dispose of molten crustacean bodies.

The way my tank is set up, if I look hard enough I will find them (for the most part).

These guys can be sloths for a week then all of a sudden spring to action.

i think they just like the shade and to relax 99% of the time. :) i have a fairly open rock structure so i'm usually able to spot mine somewhere in there. i noticed last night mine were in that "action" mode, and i also saw that they had grown quite a bit since i last saw them roaming around on the rocks!

printerdown01

Scientists claim that we have "NO idea" what bumblebees eat... ;) LOL... Mine seem to eat ditritus (they sit in a pile of it and the pile disapears). I guess marine biologists would call it magic ???... I have also heard reports that they will sit on left over food at it too will disapear. My snails are EXTREAMLY active some nights! They move VERY quickly too! But they always seem to crawl into my fuge X)! Other times they just sit there motionless (they rarely move durring the day).

I belive they are detritus eaters as well as they consume worms and other benifitial critters on and in the rock and sand. weather or not they do, i am not positive.

hmmm i don't recall ever witnessing my bumblebees eating anything! i see them roaming around on the rocks almost exclusively. when i first got them i wasn't sure what they ate, but i assumed they atleast in part ate some type of algae, plus they looked cool. i'm content to have them just for the visual aspect. :)

Out of all the snails in my tank, the bumblebees are most definitely the laziest. They do seem to eat some detritus, but they perfer to hang out in and on the rocks. They seem to be more active at night. But, I consider them more the eye candy of my clean up crew, more than the workers.;)

printerdown01

I picked up bumblebees for 2 reasons: 1) they are pretty. 2) I was curious as to what they ate. It was because of number 2 that I kept a VERY close eye on them for quite some time. Don't expect them to do a lot. And def don't expect them to actually eat algae!!

I have one in my ten and I just can't figure them out. I won't see him for weeks if not a month and then one day he just shows up on one of my rocks cruising around. I did move one live rock at one point while working on the tank and happened to find him under the rock apparently digging through the substrate.

Oddsfish...

Archived