SaltCritters.com

Acros under PC

Satchmo

A fellow reefer (mostly out of curiosity on his part) gave me a few Acro frags to see how they'd do under PC lighting. I have 2x36w over 10g. Frags were some sort of yellow Acro, a Green Slimer, and a Blue-Tipped Stag. All were placed high in the water column with good flow, and all were bleached and dead in three days. The only SPS I've been successful with is Monti dig and Pocillopora.

Has anyone kept Acros under similar lighting with success? What species? What colors?

deez's got a number of acros under pc. i don't think there's a slimer in there. i thought nr53 had one, that's mh tho.

what did you feed them? i don't know deez's secret : but i would suspect food supplements play a part in it to counter the lower light available. c'mon give up the secrets, deez! :D

I think deez runs an Ushio.

I didn't feed mine. Reason I even ask, is this guy wants to give me some more acros (drabber colors this time). I'm like his PC guinea pig I guess. Just wanted to get an idea if anyone was doing this successfully. I'd rather not take them if they're just going to croak, even though they are tiny frags.

X) you're right, i keep thinkin' of his old 10g. in fact, that ushio's the exact same light as in my hospital. double X) i guess i'm sleep-deprived. :( , sorry about that!

Prior to my tank crashing I had a nice purple acro that was doing real well. It actually lived thru the crash and died in the ensuing mayhem when I was moving stuff around to gather the dead. At the time I had 36wpc and a 13wpc sitting on the tank. Pocillopora and monti's were doing fine under that lighting as well. Sadly, they are gone now.

Take the frags from your friend and pass any that you don't want along to me. I am always willing to give the corals a home.

I have 2 acro frags both of blue tip stag. As for lighting i have 1x32 watt CSL over a 5g tank. No matter where they are in the tank there doing great. They dont grow all that fast but i do see some growth. The snails move them around and knock them off the rock, i just pretty much let them grow where the snails move them, only unless there shaded by another coral will i move them. Ive had them for 2 months.

you bleaching events in 2days could not have been from lighting. it had to have been from poor acclimation, poor water quality or just the stress of changing places.

yes, acros can be done under 2x36wpcs...i had many of mine under that for a month or 2. they will not show the colors or the growth that MH's will. they just don't do as well. i personally think SPS should only be kept uner MH's this is to make them happy and THRIVE...not unhappy and SURVIVE. this is MO and many others in SPS.

SPS don't really feed of what we put in the water persay..they feed off of infauna and such i have heard.

what were you alk and ca levels? that will be a BIG factor in keeping SPS happy

Lunchbucket

Thanks for the replies. Lunch- my alk & Ca hovers around 4.5 meq/l and 450. The frags were drip acclimated over about an hour and a half. My water quality is damn near perfect. Maybe I didn't acclimate long enough?

alk if PERFECT!! he was in meq/L not DKH so you are fine sat.

1.5hrs is a good time to acclimate and dripping is the best method. could just have been stress man. sometimes they RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) for no reason! everything should be fine to add some more sps frags...could have just been a one time bad event...it happens.

good luck

Lunchbucket

satch, sps are real delicate. I have had varied results in my nano. Some will thrive while other frags, of the same species, will not make it. Pre-crash I had a beautiful purple acro that was growing real fast. I ordered another frag from the same place and the second one never made it while the other continued to thrive. You just have to hope the frag you get is a strong, hearty one and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Originally posted by Lunchbucket

try to find frags that are under PC's or VHO's.  other wise you will loose a lot of color from MH to PC's or loose the frags.

Lunchbucket

That's what I figured the problem may have been. Maybe if the parent colony had already been acclimated to PCs, things would have been different. Ah well, I'll try again next time I see him and acclimate them longer this time. I'll let you know how it goes.

d'oh, sorry. X) i read quicker than my brain works. i ASSuMEd dkh. i didn't notice the meq/l until i saw your reply. monday morning mental fart.

Archived