Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frogspawn

CAUSEOFHIM

Can someone help me out. I am picking up a small frogspawn frag for my softie tank. What other corals can it be placed near and what type should it avoid. I have mostly zoos and softies in the tank now. Is it ok to place near zoos? I know they are pretty tough.

How far away from these and/or others in my tank? Thanks.

I looked for Eric's article on RC "Sweeping Beauty: A tale of anchors, hammers, and other things. The Euphyllia Corals" but the link no longer works.

from my experience frogspawn has the strongest "sting." Stronger than an anemone's... therefore don't let it touch anything. How close I don't know... simply put the thing in your tank see how big it gets, then when fully expanded move other corals away.

I would give it a lot of space when first introduced. Keep an eye on it and see how large it gets and watch for sweeper tentacles, then slowly move softies closer to it. I have mine close to some gsp, but I could care less if some of those get cooked.

I've had a branching hammer in my nano for some time - it would occasionally send out a sweeper that when it contacted some xenia would cause the xenai to retract and wither away.

My frogspawn is in a larger tank but I have not seen it produce the sweepers like the hammer. In any case find a place in the rockwork that would block any sweepers from reaching other corals. A six inch swath sounds big but of course depends on the size of the frogspawn and it's sweepers.

HTH - it's not exactly the answer you were looking for....

When it gets too big they are not too hard to frag, if it's the branching type.

Archived