Cultivated Reef

Clean up crew macro eaters?

selch

My LR came with some grape caulerpa on it, which was promptly removed when I started my tank. Two weeks into my almost complete cycle and I think its growing back. I'm also noticing some other plant life that has a fern like form. (I'll post pics later).

I'm going to start plucking the the caulerpa as I don't want that to get out of control. The other plant life I'm going to leave for the moment until I can identify it. The question is, when I add my cleanup crew, are there certain types of critters that will eat this kind of stuff?

I have found a hitchhiker crab, which I believe is an emerald (although he won't let me get a good look at him) and I think he'll help somewhat. Any other ideas?

darn, you shouldve yanked that stuff out at first sight! just keep yanking it out- your best bet is to remove the rocks and scrub em till you eliminate that sinister caulerpa...

I yanked it on day 1 or 2 of starting my tank. Obviously its not gone. I'll keep pulling it but I have a feeling its going to be a part of my weekly maintenance routine. I'm not real keen on pulling my rocks unless it gets way out of control. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

The caulerpa (feather and grape) might be tough to get rid of. Aside from removing the rocks and scrubbing them, the only natural thing I know of that would eat those two would be a tang. With your tank size... maybe you could find a real small yellow tang to borrow/rent from a LFS? I would not dream of keeping one in your tank though.

Even if you scrub the rocks... there is some possibility a scrap could be hiding in a hole in the rock. I bought some mounted coral on a rock with some macros growing on them one time. I ended up remounting the corals on another rock and letting the rock sit outside for a few weeks. Macro's dead! By pulling/harvesting it, you will keep it from overgrowing the tank... but eradicating it will be tough IMO.

Archived