Innovative Marine Aquariums

how to get ocellaris to be hand fed?

elekamit

I am gonna get 2-3 ocellaris percs in 3-4 days.

2 questions:

1. Should i geet 2 or 3?

2. how can i get them to be hand fed?

and no, i can't get tank raised here in ISRAEL.

Thanks

You have to feed the tank by hand all the time. Eventually they will be less and less afraid of you hand, and will swim right up to feed. Clowns are pretty bold fish, so it should only take a little time. Just make them associate your hand with food, and presto...

jenniebutterfly

haha my clown goes straight for my hand but not for food lol. he tries to bite me all the time. he is a mean little butt head lol. he has tried to bite me on several occasions. if i stick my turkey baster in he rams it really hard.

Since the first day i got my ocellaris he has been sticking his head out of the water in attempt to grab food from my hand, i let him sometimes but usually i just drop it in the water.

I didn't want him to get dependant on me feeding him from my hand, because i don't always have time to do that.

should be rather easy to get them to eat, like they said above, they are bold fish. but i must say their aim isn't the best in the world. I actually feed mine out of an syringe when feeding him brine shrimp, but when i give him flakes or pellets i put them on my finger and just drop them in, by the time i get anywhere near the tank he is already waiting for it at the surface with his eyes out of the water to see what im up to (atleast i think that's what he is doing). He also is smart enough to know when im adding chemicals to the tank as he will stick his head out and see what i have in hand, if he sees the droppers or bottles he tends to swim back down or away.

I would get one or two, not to sure about three, but im sure its not a problem at all. Just get them at once, they can be very territorial.

Archived