Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

blue tang in my tank, possible or too small?

elekamit

I have a 25 gallon (105 liter) reef i just started, I wanted to know if it is possible to grow a blue tang, or a powder tang in it, or is it too small?

p.s. measurments are:

length: 80cm

height: 40 cm

depth: 35 cm (panoramic)

Thanks!

really was only joking, i don't have a tang, or a tank the big, nor am i a member of the tang police. if i were to guess, i would say if your lfs will take trade ins, buy one and see how it does, worst case, it will get a little bigger and then will be worth more. my lfs, says i can get credit for big items towards more small ones. i haven't done it yet, but i'm thinking about it (not tangs) but like a queen conch or something.

Well..., a lot of people told me to take a small tang and grow it, untill it is bigger and then i can sell it or trade it in just like you said.

The question is, is my tank big enough for a small tang?, i don't want it to suffer

Tangs are fairly fast growers, fast swimmers & they are messy, it will not take long for this fish to out grow your tank. If the fish gets stressed in your tank than you may have to battle Ich. I would say NO dont do it, most small tangs have a poor survival rate unless they are 4 inch plus and the PBT just has a poor survival rate no matter what size.

ok, so maybe you could help me out, i know i want 2 ocellaris percula and a coral beauty.

other then that i have no idea, i don't like long shaped fish, more colorfull fish like tangs and percs.

can u recomend me?

How many of the "Tang police" have really ever owned tangs? thats the real question that needs to be asked. I see alot of talk of how tangs grow to full size in a month but really guys post pics of this amazing growth and post

I am not a member of the Tang police but I have owned a Blue Hippo (traded it for a Lion) and I will say it did grow very fast and liked to swim fast, this fish was shy & messy, It was in my 300 gallon tank. It grew 5 inches in the first year of keeping this tang.

I also have a Kole tang and have had that for a few years now, my kole is 4-5 inches right now but it is a much slower grower than my blue was. That is in my 90 gallon just because it is very agressive and almost killed my Pinktail Trigger.

There are alot of small fish that look nice out there like the banded Possum Wrasse (2 1/2 inches) or look into some of the wrasses. There are some that stay smaller and they are colorful.

Originally posted by ebin

How many of the "Tang police" have really ever owned tangs? thats the real question that needs to be asked. I see alot of talk of how tangs grow to full size in a month but really guys post pics of this amazing growth and post

Some im sure, but not all of them. Its like a lot of other things, you see something, and it just builds up from there...

And no they will NOT get full size in a month. I had a really small baby yellow tang in my 29 for about 2 and 1/2 months and he was only a little bigger than a silver dollar when i took him back.

BTW. most LFS will take tangs back, they are big sellers.

But i would not reccomend it, i mean it is possible but for only a short time and well at least for me i like to buy a fish that im going to keep.

the wrasse family IS very colorfull, but as i said before, I don't like that kind of shaped fish.

I like the shapes of tangs, and triggerfish..., any other options?

matt the fiddler

the reason for tangs isn't only biomass. they are big swimmers, and need more room than 2 flips of a tail can provide. plus they are ich prone.

min for a tang would be 50 for a yello tang.. and that is pushing it.

also be careful about the coral beauty.. they need about as much room as a tang can....

Archived