Pod Your Reef

Green star polyps turning brown!!

Bonster

30 gal tank, 2x55 lighting, all water parimeters are fine. I dose once a week with Coral-vite. It's not near any other corals. Should I be using any other additives? It's fully opened, just turning, turned brown. Any suggestions??

Thanks

i usually change my actinics or smartlamps when my gsp's turn brownish. which brand of 55w's do you have? and how old are they?

btw, i used to overrun my old 55w fixture with the 65w's, check the ballast capacity, i believe most have the extra capacity rating needed for the extra 10w/bulb.

Thanks for the reply. My lights are only about a month old. They started to turn brown before I got my new lights and I thought that was the reason. Shouldn't they be reacting to the new lights by now or will it take longer? Does this mean they are dieing?

Thanks

Same thing happened to me. I moved them from my 10 gallon under about 80 watts. To my 29 gallon; first under 2x55 watt combo bulbs, no change. I upgraded the tank to 175watt MH, still brown. I pretty much figured their brown now.

I am hoping someone posts a happy ending to this. I would love to get mine back to green too.

Guy

sorry, that's just what's worked for me in the past. right now i have a colony under my 10K's and they're brown. daughter/sister colonies under pc and vho with actinics are green.

i don't want to just throw darts against the wall for you so i'm hesitant to just suggest something else. but usually when i change the lights i do more maintenance stuff and that always includes higher calcium dosing. lights and calcium are decently innocent enough to try tinkering with. sorry, i couldn't be more helpful.

I experienced something strange about my star polyps too. They did not turn brown just keep close and none of the polyps opened. So I moved it too 2 other locations. Bang! It opened up like it said "HEY!!! YOU FINALLY PLACED ME RIGHT!". Kidding aside, try moving it to another location. Consider light/shade/water movement.

Keep Reefin'

Thanks for your replys. I've moved these buggers 3 times. No change. At the moment I would say they are in moderate to high lighting and mod to high water movement. I just thought I might be able to add something to enhance their color. I can live with them being brown but green would be better.

Thanks

just one thought, true actinics (not smartlamps or 'blue') seemed to get a better reaction for me. a couple a years back i switched to coralife's actinic and noticed this versus the 'blue' and smartlamps i had been using. you should notice fluorescing from the actinics very quickly (from smaller wavelengths of light ??? )

guy,

you may want to try a cheap NO actinic supplement just to try out over the tank. i find the small pc actinic's and larger non-coralife ones to be crappie. vho is the way to go but a little $$$ for experimenting.

harbingerofthefish

Do gsp use chemical warefare? I have some new polyps and today I noticed that they had some purple "smoke" coming from them. All my parameters seem in line, hell they are almost identical to the store I got them from. But to day, the smoke, it stopped after a minute or so, and a water change was done afterward. It this as serious I believe it to be?

i think your gsp's have a drug problem. they light up the J everytime you leave the room and they were too high to remember to put it out and caught their dreadlocks on fire. i suggest you enter them in a rehab program for reefers(pun intended)

-----on a more serious note, it may be breading behavior. instead of there their normal A-sexual reproduction, they may be reproducing sexually. just a possibility.

try an area of less ilumination. often corals will ditch the bright flourocene pigments, and go brown in bright light areas.. it is kinda like a melanin response in humans who "Tan". dose with DT's too. and some puree seafoods.

Archived