Cultivated Reef

Which RO/DI Unit?

Samc

First, I know how to use the search feature and I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have some new questions. Also, I know this is a more general topic, but it just died over their; also I plan on keeping sps (those lps tigah has are looking nice to...) and I need GOOD water!!

I have narrowed my search down to two units:

A)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...tem=4354151081, or a 75 gpd version

B)http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html

It appears that both units produce high quality water at a good price. I also feel both sellers know what they are talking about. The ebay version will be cheaper, even w/ a 20 pack of replacement cartridges, tds meter, and a 4 pack of di beads.

My questions:

A) the reason I am considering the Melev's Reef version is because you can have water from just to ro (for drinking) and ro/di for the tank. I will be using it for both the tank and drinking, and most people say they don't like the taste of di processed water. Can the Aqua Safe do the same thing, or can I buy a valve to do the same?

B)Most ro/di units I see use di canisters. The Aqua Safe use di beads. When the beads get used up you replace them. Most people here read 0-1 on the tds after filtration and around 60 before. So I assume they work, but why doesn't anyone else use the beads?

C) My water pressure might not be enough to run this. At most it is around 35 psi (I don't have a meter, just the one out on the pump in the well housing), and is probably more like 25 psi. Should I get a meter at lowes and check first? If it isn't, the "ro pressure boosting pumps are around $100 at dfs. That is insane, personally, for a water pump. Anyone know how many gph they put out? Could I use a regular aquarium pump to do the job? I know I have a pump that normal house fits on, and I can get a house adapter for the ro unit. I can find something, I guess, to adapt the tap to the pump so I can pump water at around 500 gph. I just don't want to damage my ro/di unit. Anyone out their who "feel" they have low water pressure using a ro/di unit safely?

Sam

Undertheradar

I have a KENT Hi-S Maxxima deluxe. The Hi-S membranes filter out the most amount of contaminants of any membrane I know. It has a Deion, sediment filter, and carbon filter...as well as a gauge to tell when to change it.

I would go with Melevsreef. I dont trust ebay. too easy to get murphied on ebay and too hard to recoup any losses. Yeah a LOT of ebay sh*t is legit. But even if the odds are 1 in 1000 you get taken it does not make much difference if you are that ONE in the thousand. And Mel has a phone number listed so if worse comes to worse you can at least call him and if that dont work you can get an address from a phone number and handle him face to face "old school".

I got this unit off E-bay and I couldn't be happier. Takes all of 15 minutes to install. TDS reading- going in 142, out of RO/DI - 0

Great price and very fast delivery. Ordered on a Sunday evening and received on Thursday. For the price it can't be beat

I got the one without the tank as I will just be using it for reef water.

Filter Direct RO/DI

or they have it with the tank and faucet for $22 more.

Filter Direct with Tank and faucet

Bob

Archived